 Trains / 21968 (-20)
  Re: A couple of pictures of my 'Challenger' using Ben's wheels

Looking Good John! I'm hoping to get buy to see another one of GMLTC's Layouts some time soon... Josh (21 years ago, 24-Dec-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: A couple of pictures of my 'Challenger' using Ben's wheels

(...) Spiffy! Very nice work indeed and it certainly shows off the drivers. I wish one of your closeups had been on a regular curve so the blind offset would be more obvious (either that or they WERE on curves meaning that the offset is miniscule!) (...) (21 years ago, 24-Dec-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  A couple of pictures of my 'Challenger' using Ben's wheels

I knew I had taken a few pictures, just needed to get them uploaded! (URL) The overal locomotive shot> (URL) of the front set of drivers> (URL) of the rear set of drivers> And just for fun, a picture of one of the (URL) Pacific passenger cars> I (...) (21 years ago, 23-Dec-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX) !

  Where are the instructions for the 4534's engine?

I have an extra engine and motor from the 4534 LEGO Express. These are still in their white boxes, and I plan to give them to a family for Christmas. Are the instructions for the engine contained in the small box containing the engine, or were they (...) (21 years ago, 23-Dec-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Would you mind awfully if I threw it down old-school?

(...) Not entirely accurate - it was the 'Rainhill' trials, and the prize was the contract to build and run that first commercial railway. There was a documentary on British TV recently where they re-ran the trials using working replicas of the (...) (21 years ago, 23-Dec-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Would you mind awfully if I threw it down old-school?

(...) The Rocket wasn't the first steam locomotive, but its famous for winning the Railhill trials and being selected as the production loco for the Liverpool and Manchester Railway (rumour has it that George Stephenson, the Rocket's designer (...) (21 years ago, 23-Dec-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Would you mind awfully if I threw it down old-school?

(...) THE ROCKET !! Great train model ! It's the First steam train ? If only we could get yellow 9 & 12V train wheels ! How did you get the 2*2 dome brick built onto the boiler ? Thanks, Teunis. (21 years ago, 23-Dec-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Would you mind awfully if I threw it down old-school?

(...) I saw this on Bricklink earlier today, AWSOME, great job man! I think I'll order a FEW of those wheels, I wish there were a little more filled out version, compairison wise to the US "Super Heated Boiler" locomotives, but it may work fine... (...) (21 years ago, 23-Dec-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: New uses for steering wheels

(...) It looks like a big pipe valve, perfect for the "industrial look". Cool! I'm not convinced about your other one as a train thing. Real grab irons tend to be a bit flatter to the body. Maybe the spacers will like it though, Another use for (...) (21 years ago, 22-Dec-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.town)

  Re: BBB wheels + pushrods

(...) My 'Challenger' model is a 4-6-6-4, using Ben's wheels in two sets of "6". You have to de-flange the middle wheels in each set in order to allow them to slide inside and outside the rails around the corners. If you try to keep the flanges on (...) (21 years ago, 22-Dec-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Train Design Layout for Dave K

I seem to be singularly uninspired--I can't seem to come up with a good train layout for my basement. Here's a current Track Designer file of my basement layout as of today. (URL) anyone feels like throwing ideas around for a layout, it would be (...) (21 years ago, 22-Dec-03, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Would you mind awfully if I threw it down old-school?

(...) Wouldn't mind at all for that is a most excellent MOC! It's small, simple, yet elegant and captures the original rail loco beautifully! Nicely done! Dave K (21 years ago, 22-Dec-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Would you mind awfully if I threw it down old-school?

Ben's wheels have arrived in the UK, back where it all began... (URL) Stephenson's 'Rocket'>> Image is (URL) clickable> once the folder's been moderated. I just wanted to say a big thank-you to Ben for this excellent new part. Jason Railton (21 years ago, 22-Dec-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: BBB wheels + availability?

(...) Can't really comment on the longevity of the site the image came from. Christmas task - create my own version of the diagram and maybe some others and create an FTX page about the mechanical bits of a steam loco form a lego point of view. Your (...) (21 years ago, 22-Dec-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BBB wheels + availability?

(...) you didn't! (...) I think for the most part, yes. That animated diagram (and your concise explanation of it) is pretty nifty. is it at a stable location? It seems worth linking from the header, or if ti's embedded in an info page that could be (...) (21 years ago, 22-Dec-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: BBB wheels + availability?

(...) Think of it as a physics problem, since that is what it is. If the two connecting rods (one each side) are at 180 or 0 to each other, then when one is at a end, the other is at end as well. When you push on one or the other of them, nothing (...) (21 years ago, 22-Dec-03, to lugnet.trains)

  New uses for steering wheels

I discovered a couple of uses for steering wheels while working on a current project. The first uses a tap and the wheel part removed from its base. (URL) need to lever the wheel off the base. Its a little snug but it will pop off without damaging (...) (21 years ago, 22-Dec-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.town)

  Re: BBB wheels + availability?

(...) That may be (as lar said) because it's a static display. (...) No the counterbalance is only to balance (as much as possible) the weight of the connecting rod and bearing on the wheel. You'll notice the counter weight is much larger on the (...) (21 years ago, 22-Dec-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BBB wheels + availability?

(...) Like lar says, I'm sure that it is not the case that the quartering is the same both sides. However some points to consider A: like cars, steam locos come with different amounts of cylinders, the most basic being two (I think there were some (...) (21 years ago, 21-Dec-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: BBB wheels + availability?

In lugnet.trains, Teunis Davey wrote: <snip> (...) Push rods and connecting rods are both on my list of possible parts to make. First things first, I'm busy working the flanged train driver wheel. Regarding the blind drivers, I'm working on that (...) (21 years ago, 20-Dec-03, to lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact