 Trains / 21964
Re: Would you mind awfully if I threw it down old-school?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:28:07 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Andy Stringer wrote:

   THE ROCKET !! Great train model ! It’s the First steam train ? If only we could get yellow 9 & 12V train wheels ! How did you get the 2*2 dome brick built onto the boiler ? Thanks, Teunis.

The Rocket wasn’t the first steam locomotive, but its famous for winning the Railhill trials and being selected as the production loco for the Liverpool and Manchester Railway (rumour has it that George Stephenson, the Rocket’s designer sabotaged a better engine to make sure he won - the scoundrel!).

I think it was only the first locomotive that was painted all yellow, paint being something of an expensive commodity at the time. Jason’s colours are almost certainly correct for one of the variants.

Looking forward to getting my hands on some of these BBB wheels myself.

Not entirely accurate - it was the ‘Rainhill’ trials, and the prize was the contract to build and run that first commercial railway.

There was a documentary on British TV recently where they re-ran the trials using working replicas of the three engines from European collections. The Rocket won, and the other two experienced the same problems they did in the original trial, without the need for sabotage!

The thing is though, the engineers working on the replicas decided that Stephenson won because his design was optimised for the trial. By the time the railway was opened, they were using a different engine.

This one’s based on illustrations, sketches, replicas and models, so it probably borrows from several variants. It’s a little big for minifig scale, but that’s necessitated by the linkages. It doesn’t look that big, when placed next to a Santa Fe carriage. I can always take the top 2x2 round off the chimney to bring it down to loading gauge though.

Anyway, the dome... The macroni bricks are arranged so that I can fit 1x2 technic bricks in the top at two points on the boiler, with three macronis making up the rest of that ring. A peg in the technic brick holds each dome on. It’s a little hard to spot in that photo, as the yellow has flared in the camera.

As for the cylinders, I use two technic turnbuckles - the cross axle piece. One at the top, one at the bottom. They’re fixed to a 4 stud long, 1/2 stud thick technic arm. You could use a lift-arm if you want. Then, in the top one is a technic half-pin that holds the hollow cylinder in place.

This gives you about 2.7 studs of hollow tube. The crank only has 2 studs of travel, so there’s just enough spare to hold it in place at the bottom of the stroke.

I’d have preferred to do the linkages in grey, but only had the right parts in black. And that’s only thanks to a half-price DSDK.

And yes, there is a motor underneath the load wagon.

Jason Railton