 Trains / 21244
  Stability of cars/rails?

Hello all, Being new to this list I hope you'll forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question. It's late and I've had absolutely no prior experience with trains period. :) My question (of course I have a question! You didn't think I'd actually have (...) (21 years ago, 12-Oct-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stability of cars/rails?

(...) They wobble a little, but if the track is level and you're going in a circle (not going straight part of the time) at a constant speed you may not get any wobble at all. Cars that use two trucks (and thus sit on bogie plates <part:4092> are (...) (21 years ago, 12-Oct-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stability of cars/rails?

But the wobble is realistic in a way. if you watch a slow moving train, rolling along, it sways side to side a little bit, this is because it is almost imppossible & un-needed to have the track PERFECTLY level, unless of course you're speaking of (...) (21 years ago, 12-Oct-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stability of cars/rails?

(...) Agreed, and I even take advantage of the wobble in MTW-1003 to good effect, however in this case the original poster is looking for a jitter free way to do circular pans with a camera, so wobble is not his friend in this application. ++Lar (21 years ago, 12-Oct-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stability of cars/rails?

If you took the monorail and ran it at 4.5 volts (to slow it down), you might get a very wobble free ride..... but I haven't tested it. -Tom (...) (21 years ago, 13-Oct-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stability of cars/rails?

(...) There is also one thing I forgot to mention when I made the original post...I'm not doing realtime filming. I'm doing stop-motion. Therefore the need for a wobbleless system is even greater. Also, to make it harder, I cannot trigger the camera (...) (21 years ago, 13-Oct-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stability of cars/rails?

(...) So you want to mount a camera on a flatbed and put it on a circle? If so you might want to make an arm that goes into the center, and put some weight on it and a single wheel or even one of those boat "glider pads" round 2*2 under it (as in (...) (21 years ago, 13-Oct-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stability of cars/rails?

(...) wow, that's getting complicated. how about a 12v motor, at the center, with a platform built onto it. you get stability (by removing the bogey aspect), and simplicity. if need be, i can post a mockup, but somehow i don't see this as a problem (...) (21 years ago, 13-Oct-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stability of cars/rails?

(...) Both ideas would work excellently for an external 360-degree pan, but once again I forgot to mention one thing: the subject is in the middle. To clarify: I'm doing a film where I have a cardboard "valley" full of sand. I want to do a pan all (...) (21 years ago, 13-Oct-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stability of cars/rails?

(...) Here's a thought: Make a single "rail" out of 1x2 bricks, curved to the diameter you want. Build a wheeled support for your camera with a groove in it that lets you slide it along the bricks. Or (and I know this is blasphemous and all) buy (...) (21 years ago, 14-Oct-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stability of cars/rails?

(...) Then, if the LEGO track radius is sufficient, my idea still would work, just put the arm on the outside, and definately use a wheel this time. Nothing visible within the track circle! (21 years ago, 14-Oct-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stability of cars/rails?

(...) I'm not sure I understand that. Are you saying use two separate tracks and put the "outrigger" on the outer track? I basically want to circle an object (in this case a large one) with the camera. I'm not sure how an arm on the outside helps (...) (21 years ago, 14-Oct-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stability of cars/rails?

(...) Good suggestion. I'm not sure I have the baseplates to keep it all together, but I'll think about it. I was given a large table in the basement to work this project on, so I have good room now. A brick ring is certainly feasible, if I have (...) (21 years ago, 14-Oct-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stability of cars/rails?

(...) The arm on the outside, which has some weight on it, will prevent the car from waggling on the bogies, thus keeping it 100% steady on the track. See (URL) for a sample... (21 years ago, 14-Oct-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stability of cars/rails?

(...) I think I'd use a bigger interior wheel, technic beams for the outrigger and put the weights (the big red things) midway between the wheel and the train car, but ya, that looks like it ought to be pretty steady, you've changed a two point (...) (21 years ago, 14-Oct-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stability of cars/rails?

(...) i still think that it could be improved: (URL) don't have to worry about magnets moving, so you can keep a constant distance and speed, and can mount a camera (may require another layer of plates to be stable). of course, i thought he was (...) (21 years ago, 15-Oct-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stability of cars/rails?

(...) That's a nice design, a good idea. Even though I can't use the LEGO track, I can adapt that method to use with my current setup. Thanks! Even though that method does require a perfectly level area (which I don't have), I've added crosshairs to (...) (21 years ago, 15-Oct-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Stability of cars/rails?

(...) Mike, If I can be of any help, e-mail me. I've got experience doing stop-motion set and camera work. If you check out www.gwarbco.com and look at "Crusade Wars", I was responsible for all the set work and even built the camera dolly used for (...) (21 years ago, 15-Oct-03, to lugnet.trains)