 Trains / 21245
Re: Stability of cars/rails?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 04:28:45 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Thorn wrote:
Hello all,

Being new to this list I hope you'll forgive me if I'm asking a stupid
question. It's late and I've had absolutely no prior experience with trains
period. :)

My question (of course I have a question! You didn't think I'd actually
have something profound to say, did you?) is: how stable are the train cars
on the horizontal plane? Do they wobble at all (tilt, I mean)?

They wobble a little, but if the track is level and you're going in a circle
(not going straight part of the time) at a constant speed you may not get any
wobble at all. Cars that use two trucks  (and thus sit on bogie plates
<part:4092> are going to wobble more than short cars that use directly connected
wheels.

Also, how low to the ground could I get, say, a flatbed?

Depends on how low the track is, but a single truck car, probably about 3 bricks
above the rail height, if you use standard wheels <part:2878>, a little less if
you use the tinypin small wheels <part:2927> that connect to the tinypin plate
<part:2926>. If you use the drop center bogie plate (which is a two truck
design) as in <set:4561> (follow the link to the peeron inventory to see that
the set includes this part <part:2972> or build your own drop center, you can
get quite a bit lower... probably more like about 1 brick above the rail height.

I'm trying to figure out how to move my digital camera in a full circle
with as little deviation from a smooth pan as possible, both in tilt and
wobble. If lego train cars are steady and don't tilt side to side freely, I
may have to work out another 'quid pro quo' with somebody.

Also (one more question and yes I like parentheses), is there a
minimum/maximum circle diameter for curved tracks?

Yes there is a minimum/maximum circle diameter for curved tracks.

Was there something else? Oh, you want to know what it IS... it's the same in
both cases, the same diameter as there is only one track radius available. 40
studs to the track center, IIRC.

Thanks for any help you can give me,
~Mike Thorn

Hope that helps.