 Trains / 20959
Re: LDCC and RCX gizmos (long)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:20:53 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.indylug, Brian B. Alano wrote:
I am contemplating how to integrate control of a roundhouse roundtable with
control of trains using LDCC <http://home.surewest.net/markril/lego/dcc/>.

snip!

What next? Well, first a question:
* What is the LDCC IR command for headlight control?

And here's a short wish list for LDCC IR:
* a way set arbitrary CVs

Here's a wish list for Full Throttle:
* A way to control more than 9 locos. On our layout, we could have 4 in the
roundhouse, 3 running the loops, 1 shunting stock, and the roundtable RCX LDCC IR
"decoder" for a total of 9. If the above works out, I can see us controlling the
whole amusement park this way, but we'll have hit the ceiling with Full Throttle.
* A way to control at least 25 switches (implementing
LDCC_CMD_SWITCH_THROWN/CLOSED). (We plan 23 switches on our layout, plus 2 level
crossings set up as switches).
* Implementation of the non-existant way to set CVs using LDCC IR.

I believe that Mark is already working on a couple of different ways to control
more than 9 DCC decoders on a layout.  As he does, I will extend Full Throttle
to support the new features.  (No pressure, Mark!)  The same thing goes for
programming CVs or overcoming any address-space limitations of the current
implementation.

The user interface for Full Throttle was designed toward a singular purpose: the
control of LDCC train throttles.  I may consider adding other "channel types" so
that the program can easily be configured to control switches or other types of
devices.  Programming CVs and even saving loco presets are on my wish list.  I
am also planning to provide a "DC throttle" option to enable the program to
control non-DCC locos "the old-fashioned way."  I am always open to suggestions
for how to improve my software, so don't be shy.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I am also working on a more flexible program,
called TrainLab, which is intended for the "power trainhead" category.  This
program will be much more flexible and customizable, but with a regrettably
steeper learning curve to be able to wield that power effectively.  I don't have
a lot of details yet, but it is going to be an event-driven scripted programming
environment running on a PC, with direct programmatic control of any sensor,
motor, or DCC decoder on the layout.  The user interface will be completely
customizeable for each train layout.  Certainly an ambitious project.

P.S. did I remember to thank Christopher Phillips and Mark Riley? Thanks, guys.

No problem.  It must just be the bored and masochistic compulsive
reader/finisher in me that makes me want to implement your wish list for new
features...