 Trains / 20951
Re: LDCC and RCX gizmos (long)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:05:44 GMT

"Brian B. Alano" wrote:

All I have
to do is enable my NQC program to respond to the LDCC IR protocol.

Is there a way with the standard firmware to receive and
process arbitrary packets, even those wrapped in the standard
Lego IR protocol (as LDCCIRP is)?  I'm thinking you may need
to use BrickOS for this application.

There aren't many reasons why you would want to read further, but they • include:

* you are bored and masochistic,
* you are a compulsive reader or a compulsive finisher,
* you *really* want to know how my brain works,
* you wrote LDCC or Full Throttle, and you can't wait to implement my wish • list
for new features (I can dream, can't I?)
* you might want use the LDCC IR protocol yourself, and you want to avoid
my mistakes

Guilty as charged, though I'm not saying exactly how many can be
applied to me... :-)

I can also use LDCC_CMD_SPEED for the "seek track #" and "seek track #, • reverse
orientation" functions of operations mode. Speed 1 will be "seek track 1", • speed
2 will "seek track 2" and so on up to track 5. Speed -1 will be "seek • track 1,
reverse orientation". We'll ignore all other values for speed, or maybe • beep in
mild distress. Full Throttle makes it simple to select discrete speed • values by
using the up and down arrow buttons. (I'll have to rethink this if I plan • to use
the Lego Remote to control the "seek track" function, because it tends to • jump
about 3 to 5 speed steps per key press.)

Undocumented feature: hold down the "beep" key while operating
the speed buttons on the remote control, this will give you finer control
over speed.

As far as I can
tell, LDCC IR doesn't have a way to set arbitrary CVs (yet! Right, Mark?)

Right, CV programming opcodes are on the To Do List.

What next? Well, first a question:
* What is the LDCC IR command for headlight control?

For the standard headlight, that would be function #0.  If your loco
has additional lights, these are activated by the other functions and
are decoder dependant.

Here's a wish list for Full Throttle:
* A way to control more than 9 locos. On our layout, we could have 4 in • the
roundhouse, 3 running the loops, 1 shunting stock, and the roundtable RCX • LDCC IR
"decoder" for a total of 9. If the above works out, I can see us • controlling the
whole amusement park this way, but we'll have hit the ceiling with Full
Throttle.

With the advent of the LDCC IR Protocol and programs like Full Throttle,
I can extend the number of locos supported by LDCC.  The 9 loco limit
is mostly for UI issues with the RCX (i.e. 5 digit display and a few
buttons).

P.S. did I remember to thank Christopher Phillips and Mark Riley? Thanks,
guys.

You're welcome!  Cheers,

Mark