 Trains / 20456
Re: LDCC Resources?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 16:19:38 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mark Riley wrote:
"Peter Young" wrote:

This is the bit I'm wondering about.  What decoders and controllers are
used?  What  work has been done on mounting them in a Lego motor with
additional outputs being avaliable to train lights etc.

Good question, here's a list of decoders I've heard of being installed
inside a train motor (any others, anyone?):

Digitrax DN121
Digitrax DZ143
Digitrax DN140 (discontinued product)
Lenz LE0511W
MRC AD330

Also, these decoders seem likely candidates:

Digitrax DN142
TCS M1

The Holy Grail of decoder installation would have to be Tom Cook's
well documented page:

http://www.lgauge.com/trains/dcc/dcc.htm

I've started work on utilizing the DZ143 to control three lights in
a locomotive - I'll post some pictures when I've completed the
project.

Mark

I have installed several Digitrax DN142's.  I really like the "Back EMF" load
compensation function.  It helps with voltage droop on curves and hills.

Also, shortly I will be getting a couple TCS M1's.  These are cheaper than the
DN142's and have a supposedly quieter pulse mode for slow speed.  I'm hoping
this will reduce the buzzing that the LEGO motors make.  Unfortunately, the M1
doesn't appear to have the load compensation function.