 Trains / 19856
Re: PNLTC Layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:39:05 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile writes:
Hi All,
Here are 49 pictures of the recent (4-17 thru 4-19) train layout we we
showed at the OR Convention Center.

Just to clarify things, the huge building is a model of the Oregon
Convention Center, the venue for the show. They were celebrating the
opening of an expansion that doubled the size (the new section is the
half with the "tiara" as opposed to the half with the two glass towers).
It was built by Jeremy Rear with lots of help from other brick
collections.

This SO rocks. LOTS of eye candy. I particularly was digging the dropped
seaside village (with 12V train in mountain... that's gotta be Frank's
handiwork!!). I see Frank snuck some Pirate ships in. Nice trees on that
mountain, gonna have to crib some of that thinking for mine. Who did that
mountain?

That would in fact be me. I looked at Reinhard "Ben" Beneke's site for
inspiration for the trees. They all use Technic straws for structural
strength ("Ben" mentioned using string in one of his trees). The shorter
trees can be tossed around without any loss of parts. The larger "palm
leaf" trees are somewhat more fragile (and can be hard to build, I spent
an embarassing several minutes trying to keep the leaves on one tree
long enough to get the next 2x2 round on to hold them in place - I built
several of the trees during the show).

The kids really ate up the dropped mountain scene since it brought it
more into their view. One problem though was that it was a little more
"accessible" so we have to move the barriers farther back.

Folks may also want to look closely at the waterfall. I'm not sure if
it's the first SNOT waterfall, but I can't think of any that I've seen
in the past. I felt it worked very well and gave lots of texture (of
course I only have two 1x2 clear plates left). The waterfall also makes
that section particulalry strong.

I think the wild west mountain backdrop is Steve's work. Steve, why did you
decide to put (masonite?) edging on the back of it?

Yes, that is Steve's work. The farm in front is Matt Chile's work. The
wild west setup is John Rasmussen's work. The back is hollow and was
visible from the other side of the layout. The structure uses all sorts
of primary colors. The backing is black foamcore.

I'll have to ask Steve to post the "inside" pictures of my mountain. I
have found that the Belville lattice pieces work very well for
structure, even the ones with one end rounded off. The corner ones work
the best. The Belville towers also work well for structure.

I also liked the container cranes and the big Evergreen containership

The cranes and ships in this section are Jeremy Rear's (though many of
the containers ended up being mine). The yard office under one of the
cranes is mine. The big 8-pack grain silos are Steve's as is the Octan
yard.

So do tell about that big banner! It's nifty.

The convention center made it for us (we didn't really know about it
until we arrived). Conveniently they made it generic to us (but not to
them) so we get to keep it.

Other areas:

The yard was mostly Kim Toll's contribution, with Steve's red and tan
yard tower and my black and grey large water tower.

The city was a collaborative effort of almost everyone. The big block of
stores is Steve's. The teal building (that gets so color screwed up) is
Matt's.

Frank