 Trains / 174
    sticker shock —Louise Belles
    Once in while it is a good idea for me to wander through a train/hobby store to remind myself why I switched to Lego trains. The prices for new sets are outrageous! $50 for one hand pump car is way too much, even if the polar bears on it are cute. (...) (26 years ago, 28-Nov-98, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: sticker shock —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) While competition is a good thing, and TLG has a monopoly on trains that are compatible, it should be noted that there is a lot of junk out there in the regular train hobby, especially in HO and in the large scales. I see so many families (...) (26 years ago, 28-Nov-98, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: sticker shock —Louise Belles
      (...) (used Lionel purchased at trains shows)I realized very quickly they are too expensive, take up too much space, and have limited play value. Once I screwed the track down so the train would run well, my design options were limited. With Lego I (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: sticker shock —Gary R. Istok
      Larry Pieniazek wrote: <snip> (...) This is my first forray into LUGNET.TRAINS, so I'm a fish out of water, (TOWN is my home turf). Thanks Larry, since I'm probably one of the few AFOL's that is building my city in the classic scale (3 bricks high (...) (25 years ago, 4-Mar-99, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: sticker shock —Ben Fleskes
   (...) and (...) Fully agreed. I see this all the time at the train shows PNLTC goes to. People spending small fortunes to buy an engine or a car simply to run it around a track. Well I like the building (and rebuilding) aspect of Lego. One of the (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: sticker shock —Jasper Janssen
   On Sun, 29 Nov 1998 20:06:05 GMT, "Ben Fleskes" <benfleskes@msn.com> wrote: :Fully agreed. I see this all the time at the train shows PNLTC goes to. :People spending small fortunes to buy an engine or a car simply to run it :around a track. Well I (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.trains)