 Trains / 17297
Re: Is 12v compatible with 9v???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 19:21:12 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Brendan Coughlin writes:
In lugnet.trains, Mike Walsh writes:
The quick answer to your question is yes, they are compatible.  They fit and
the wheels (non-electrical ones) anyway roll without any problems.

There are no electical wheels in 12v (or 4.5v). All wheels are plastic.
Power pickup comes from conductors between the rails negating the need for
power pick-up from the wheels. 9v trains use the wheels of the motor for
power pickup.

Neither 12v nor 9v motors will roll very easily if at all wihtout having
power applied. If you want a push train use regular train wheels built into
a block that is similar in shape and size to an electric motor block.

12v, 9v, and 4.5v (battery) motors are interchangeable on most models. The
biggest difference being a connector for optional lighting on the train.
4.5v motors will run on either track since it carries its power supply with
it instead of relying on power from the track.

Other than the motors, almost everything is interchangeable among the four
train designations (push, 4.5v, 12v, and 9v)- meaning a train originally
designed with a 12v motor can use a 9 volt motor instead and its respective
track. The track gauge (distance between the rails) has remained constant.

I am a 12v trainhead. I typically convert 9v trains to 12v.