 Trains / 15623 (-20)
  Re: PNLTC display in Edmonds, WA

(...) Yeah, next time we need to be sure we have a few catalogs on hand. People kept saying "LEGO makes trains??" and I would tell them a bit about them, but it would have been helpful to have a catalog on hand to show them examples of the LEGO (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build.mecha)

  Re: HoMa and the Trans Namib, part Zwei

Hi Larry, no, it's mot "photoshoped". I really would wish to be able to do such things with Photoshop. But the newspaper is **real**. Even if the german influence in Namibia - former South West Africa - lasted just 30 years and it's a long time ago, (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Terminology Question

(...) Cotton Belt was taken over by Southern Pacific, with is now part of Union Pacific, & GATX leases motive power... Josh (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Santa Fe Distribution Map

(...) I believe that it approximated Route 66's path. --Bill. (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Terminology Question

(...) Funny you should mention this.. I saw some of those yesterday. Weird looking that the wheelsets were between the units and shared the articulation point. The first one kinda surprised me, so the next one I counted a 5 unit assembly, then later (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Santa Fe Distribution Map

(...) None, but boy is it cool!!! Thanks!!! tres geek chic. I may have to put it up on the front page of .trains for a bit... (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Santa Fe Distribution Map

(...) Correct. Moreover, it was a southern route. I'd have to dig up my route map but I think it went more south than west initially. However remember: "Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe" is the road name... I believe all three of those towns (two in KS, (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Santa Fe Distribution Map

Can you color in the states where there are LTCs? My guess is that you can tell already! SteveB (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: HoMa and the Trans Namib, part Zwei

(...) Well so far he's been right. There have *been* no new train sets released from the mothership. Only good stuff from the skunkworks that is LD. That it appears that some of them were designed by the same designer (but in a "free of mothership (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Terminology Question

(...) This is due to the use of only 2 couplers ;-). Sort of like the "Super Chief" F7's, they were draw bar connected, there for the # waslike 300L, 300C, 300D, 300B. 2 couplers count as one whole, no matter the # of cars/wheels in between. Josh (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Santa Fe caboose

(...) "B" Calf is a cabless road switcher. These are hood units, the cabless versions are "B" units. Same sort of idea, more horsepower without an additional engineer, but different term. (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Terminology Question

We are have a railcar manufacturer here in Portland called Gunderson that makes (www.gbrx.com/produc...rame.html) container cars. There is a picture gallery at there site. SteveB (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: "Super Chief" (was: Santa Fe caboose)

(...) Not yet it doesn't and it won't if we don't let it! (why do I feel like King Canute??... And no, I wasn't "begging that question") (...) Sure. Usually freight geared. (...) Undoubtedly. Some units got a temp assignment. Some units got regeared (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Terminology Question

(...) Intermodal used to describe a system of transportation for a container of some sort that uses multiple modes from departure to destination. This container can be a large, semi-trailer mounted container, or standard semi trailer, etc. If they (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  "Super Chief" (was: Santa Fe caboose)

Like it or not, the name now has two meanings: 1: A real-world named train, run by Santa Fe many years ago 2: A Lego set that consists of an EMD (F7? other F?) locomotive in Santa Fe's red/yellow/"silver" war-bonnet paint scheme. David can pull a (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Terminology Question

(...) I believe that "articulated" is the correct term. Think of it as a single piece of rolling stock (which it is) that happens to bend in a few places. The term "intermodal" refers to the system of containers that are carried on ships, trains, (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Santa Fe Distribution Map

(...) The Super Chief ran passenger service between Chicago and Los Angeles. I'm not sure how the route crosses through states so I don't know exactly which states. As far as I know, it didn't go trough the Northeast, South, or Northwest. (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Train Terminology Question

What is the generic name for container cars that share a set of wheels in between them? Similar to this: (URL) they called intermodals? Or is that a "brand" name? thanks, TJ (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Santa Fe Distribution Map

(...) Well I just added 2 more in Massachusetts (8188 and 8263). (...) Well I can say the Super Chief never ran through New England. My guess is that is was mostly in the South West but I am not sure. Eric Kingsley (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Santa Fe caboose

(...) Good job on the caboose. I also liked the calf unit you built. I want to get another Super Chief so I can make a calf too. One thing I'd like to point out, the Super Chief would never pull a caboose (not typically, anyway). The silver, red, (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact