 Trains / 15609
15608  |  15610
Subject:
"Super Chief" (was: Santa Fe caboose)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 19:22:45 GMT

Like it or not, the name now has two meanings:
  1: A real-world named train, run by Santa Fe many years ago
  2: A Lego set that consists of an EMD (F7? other F?) locomotive in
     Santa Fe's red/yellow/"silver" war-bonnet paint scheme.

David can pull a caboose behind his "Super Chief" Lego set if he wants, and
it's even fairly prototypical.  Some variants of F7s were used for freight
service, no?  And by Santa Fe with that paint scheme?

I'll agree that it's a silly misnomer on Lego's part, but there it is.  I
would be surprised if no "traditional" model railroad manufacturer has ever
made similar mistakes.

And besides, it all comes down to marketing, which often doesn't reflect
reality.  Who knows- the naming may have been part of the licensing
agreement and out of Lego's hands.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com