 Trains / 15572
Re: Santa Fe caboose
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 00:09:55 GMT

In lugnet.trains, David VinZant writes:

Hey Larry I did find this one picture. It may not be as dramatic of a curve
but it does have an arc to it.
http://www.walthers.com/prodimage/0140/01400000005394.gif

It sure does. In fact that's the rounded end from a "pressed steel" roof.
They (the car manufacturers... Pullman Standard, American Car Foundry and
others) took big pieces of steel and put them into huge 200++ ton presses
and formed ribs and raised/lowered areas into them for strength. They
rounded the ends so that the welds that joined the roof to the sides would
be overlapped instead of butt welds (I think... that part I am hazy on).

But I'd argue that at LEGO resolution that rounded edge should be lost in
(wait for it... ) "rounding error". (crowd groans) given the size of it
compared to the size of one stud or the height of one brick.

YMMV of course but that radius is nowhere as large as a PRR "cabin car" roof
rounding.

But what the hay, it looks cool anyway.