 Trains / 15499
Re: 8 Wide verses 6 Wide Super Chief Comparison
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 06:15:42 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
Well, my 10020s arrived yesterday, and so I built one using a 9 volt
motor, and kit-bashed the other 2 to modify my Super Chief MOC.  Here
are a few pics of the 2 together for comparison in my Super Chief
folder:

What I noticed most is that when you look at the 10020 by itself, it
looks pretty "correct".  Only when you put it up to an 8 wide version
does its "toyishness" really come through.  Which is okay, of course,
because it *is* a toy:-)

I would never say that mine is better, just different in a more
prototypical kind of way:-)

Less prototypical :-)... BEAUTIFUL, but less prototypical.

While the way your tankage/skirting came out is just great, way way better
than LDs, when I look at the rest of the engine I can't help but thinking
it's too squarish. The nose curvature (from the front and from the top), the
roof curvature, all suffer from the extra flatness induced by the extra two
studs.

It's a beautiful model but it looks more like an ALCO FA to me than an EMD
F. But that's OK. FAs are nice machines. Almost as nice as PAs.