 Trains / 15431
Re: Sante Fe Wish List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 15:56:28 GMT

Benjamin Medinets wrote:

Another thought....I noticed all the registry start with A.... the Sante
Fe was listed as an "F" Unit....(please don't jump on my message Lar, I am
not that versed in the train lingo...but feel free to comment on it) :)

Allow me;-)

F is the *EMD* (builder) designation for the type of locomotive used to pull
the Super Chief.  There were actually different versions of the F (FT, F2, F3,
F7), but the one chosen by TLC to model is a "300 class" (which were numbered
300-316).

A and B designations are simply ways to indicate whether a (any) locomotive is
manned or not (A's are, B's are not).  So a lash of A-B-B-A would only have 2
crews (money-saver; different story)

As far as the "A" on the number plate of the limited editions, that may be
TLC's way of numbering *their* special editions (the next series would
presumably begin with a B)

Although we are talking about the same letters, they all have different
meanings.

-John

but
the engine itself would be classed as an "A" unit...hence the A designator
at the beginning.

I wonder if the sante fe "expansion pack" will be listed as a special order
item like the 10020 with the numbers starting with "b" or maybe they will
have all the owners of the limited edition "numbered" sets order matching
numbered plates for their "B" units.

Any thoughts???

Benjamin Medinets