 Trains / 15370
  Re: My Sante Fe 10020

(...) Well, the Caltrain commuter rail that runs between San Jose and San Francisco uses only clear (white) lights on the front of the train, and red on the rear. One of the lights (the uppermost one, IIRC) oscillates; the others (two or three, I (...) (22 years ago, 26-Feb-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf)

  Re: My Sante Fe 10020

(...) The lower 2 non centered of the three non oscillating lights are called "ditch" lights. (...) This is almost completely standard commuter train practice, it's called "push pull" operation. SEMTA, SEPTA, MTA, CTA, Metro North, you name it, they (...) (22 years ago, 26-Feb-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf)

  Re: My Sante Fe 10020

(...) They can run steady, or flash also... (...) Odd, & eliminates a turntable... Josh (22 years ago, 26-Feb-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf)

  Re: My Sante Fe 10020

(...) Thanks. Bear with me, I'm kinda new to all this train stuff. I dabbled in HO as a kid, and am only recently getting interested in LEGO trains. (...) Well I guess I don't get out much then :-/ --Bill. XFUT: back to lugnet.trains (22 years ago, 26-Feb-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf)

  Re: My Sante Fe 10020

(...) Trains are on the upsurge as a theme among adults (thanks in large part to all the clubs and their activities). And this 10020 both confirms the momentum (why build it if it isn't going to sell?) and will help build that momentum. We have a (...) (22 years ago, 26-Feb-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Sante Fe 10020

(...) I've seen the term "push-pull" (in at least one coffee-table type railfan book) used to refer to one locomotive at each end of a consist. Is that incorrect usage of the term, or does it have two completely different meanings? -- Tony Hafner (...) (22 years ago, 26-Feb-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Sante Fe 10020

(...) I am not sure but I would tend to lean toward both correct, different meanings. Commuter practice puts controls in the ends of "some" (or all) cars so that when the consist is made up a car with a controlset is at the very end of the consist, (...) (22 years ago, 26-Feb-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Sante Fe 10020

(...) This is in the dealings of DP, Depositied power... DP is standard in newer North American loco's computers, uses Radio Frequencies, allows the engineer to precisely control the rear engine, taking off slightly slower then the lead loco, to (...) (22 years ago, 26-Feb-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Sante Fe 10020

(...) Some coal transport trains in West Aus run with >100 coal trucks, and have loco groups at multiple spots along the train in addition to the front. They also have problems on hill-crests, where the lead locos must reduce power going down the (...) (22 years ago, 26-Feb-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Sante Fe 10020

(...) Thats whats so Great about it! I would love to try DCC in Legos & run DP trains... Josh (22 years ago, 26-Feb-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Sante Fe 10020

In lugnet (...) meanings. (...) Yes, push pull generally, as far as I tell, means that the loco(s) are at one end, and there is a control cab at the other end. (...) GO used to do this with F units :). (But, they mostly use the coaches, since the (...) (22 years ago, 27-Feb-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Sante Fe 10020

(...) Whereas I would strongly doubt that they do. DP (Distributed Power) uses radio signals since there are no MU or electrical lines running through the unit train coal cars. Radio is asking for trouble in congested areas with crowded spectrum. (...) (22 years ago, 27-Feb-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Sante Fe 10020

(...) Or just someone casting a long line, waiting to catch unwary locos???? ROSCO FUT .fun (22 years ago, 27-Feb-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.off-topic.fun)