 Trains / 13723
    Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions —David Niemann
   Hello, I am building a Lego subway line and I want to try to automate it. I am new to Mindstorms and I do not know how to get started. I saw there are now several starter sets, and three versions of the RIS. What I want to do is run 3-4 two car (...) (23 years ago, 27-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions —James Powell
     (...) track (...) Sure, it is _possible_. How I would approach it follows. If so, which set would (...) AC (...) Nope, any one of them can be fitted to either the train or ground. If you are going to have stationary RIS's, it would be better to have (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions —Larry Pieniazek
     Snipped most of James's explanation, I just want to comment on one point (...) This is overkill. Just use the fact that you can align the switches AGAINST the incoming subway train and when it reverses, it will cross over to the other track with no (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions —David Niemann
     (...) Thanks for sharing this idea. I would have thought this would cause the train to derail. This will make it much easier for me to reverse my trains. David (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions —Jurgen Blok
      (...) AGAINST (...) train (...) You could try to add some weigth to your train to prevent this from happening (if it does happen ;-). Especially the cars that are not motorized. My 2 cents Bye, Jurgen (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions —Jason J. Railton
     (...) No, it doesn't. The middle rail of the point[switch] is lightly sprung so that it can give way to a train coming the wrong way. The only derailment risk is if a long train is half-way across the point when you change direction. Then you get (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions —Zhengrong Zang
     I am glad to know there are more fans like to create automation train layout. I think you need RCX to control tracks, not stations or trains, you can get some ideas from my page (URL) RIS1.0 is the best if you use them in layout. You also need to (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions —Steven Barile
     Zhengrong is right, the biggest trouble is controling the train's speed. And really one sensor is barely enough for each station especially if the train's speed varies from station to station. BTW if there is only one train you can gang up sensors (...) (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions —Dean Husby
     (...) I do train automation all the time. Reed Switches work well. You CAN use one RCX for every 3 stations. That includes slowing down the train and stopping it. I live near a Skytrain and the entire system works off of computer controlled trains (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions —David Niemann
   Hello all, Thanks for your help. I am back with more questions. First, is it possible to use scout computers like the one in this auction (URL) control trains instead of the RCXs? Is looks like they're a lot cheaper, but are they not as good as the (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions —Zhengrong Zang
   You can use Scout to control trains like using RCX, I had tested. The difference is that Scout only can use passive light sensor, then they only have two input and output ports, then you only can use NQC, not legOS. When you write NQC, you can use (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions —Zhengrong Zang
     One Addition for Scout, you can use a fiber cable to connect Scout and a micro-scout, let that micro-scout to control a switch point, so you can get three output ports from Scout. Then if you can put Scout on a special position with a external light (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.scout)

        Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions —Dean Husby
   (...) With the Scout (or RCX for that matter) you can use a phototransistor as a light sensor for the scout. Put a light or IF emitter on the other side of the track and it can detect a break in the light. You can count cars or anything you want. It (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions —Mario Ferrari
   (...) many (...) to one (...) the train, (...) You can use the Scout to detect trains also with cheap custom made reed sensors, they behave like passive sensors. IMO they're ideal to detect trains: the magnetic couplings of the cars are strong (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions —Dean Husby
   (...) I used Reed sensors in the last train show the VLC did. They worked well. I had 3 of them in parallel for the trolley track. It would move between 3 stations and stop at each one for a time. (URL) also used a reed in a little building to (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Mindstorms Automatic Train Control Questions —Jason J. Railton
   (...) 2x6 plate with the middle 8 studs removed, and pressed onto the track lengthwise. Then, an RCX hidden in a signal box (switching house, or whatever you call them in the US) controlled a barrier crossing. Hands up all those at Thames Valley (...) (23 years ago, 1-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)