 Trains / 1311
Re: A4 Class Locomotive teaser & Wheel count designations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 05:14:23 GMT

<snip>

The ludicrous extreme is a wagon plate that is equal in length to the diameter
of a LEGO train circle!

Easy there, cowboy!  I have built some 8 stud wide coaches (built over *2* wagon
plates) that practically *do* equal the length of the diameter of the circle.
*Looks* goofy going around the circle, and prototypically an engine could never
negotiate such a tight radius (at least a "C" config one), but they sure look cool
sitting on the track.  I'm holding my breath for TLG to introduce flex track, so
that the angle of the curve is determined by the builder.  Look, I'm turning blue
already;-)

-John

Put the outer wheelsets at the ends of this way too
long wagon plate with a central wheelset at the midpoint of the wagon plate.
OK?  Place this hypothetical way to long train on a LEGO train track circle:
So, the two outer wheelsets are opposite one another across a diameter of the
circle of track, and the middle wheelset is at a mid-point along a semi-circle
of the circle of track.  OUCH! The two end wheelsets are at 180 degrees with
respect to one another (90 degrees with respect to the wagon plate; the wagon
plate crosses a diameter of the circle of track.), and they are at 90 degrees
with respect to the middle wheelset axle.  A line drawn between an end wheelset
and the central wheelset makes a 45 degree angle with respect to either axle.

Now, think triangles:  as the long wagon is put through the track curve,
the central wheelset translates.  This results in an increase in the
axle-to-axle distance between the end wheelsets and the central wheelset.  For
the wagons I built using the ball-and-socket linkage, there was enough 'slop'
in the ball-and-socket to accommodate this increased separation due to
translation of the central wheelset.  I'm not sure there would be enough slop
in the ball-and-socket for an even longer wheelset separation.

I now this is extreme, but it just shows what wheelset separation limitation
may be encountered with the tri-axle ball-and-socket linkage as one tries to
build longer and longer wagons.

Give it a go!  And, come up with something better!  LEGO is so awesome for
this means of mechanical exploration, creativity, and problem-solving.

Sorry if my ramblings are unintelligible.

Have fun!  I'm looking forward to seeing this Great Brit. Loco.  :-)
later,
James Mathis