 Trains / 1326
Re: A4 Class Locomotive teaser & Wheel count designations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 22:59:18 GMT

Doug Glasnapp wrote:
Also, about the wheel count designations, I saw someone counting the
number of axles to designate the loco(2-3-1 if you counted this loco
that way) and i am used to the counting of the actual wheels to
designate things(such as 4-6-2).  I do get my ideas from European model
catalogs and they count the wheels.  Is counitng axles the American
way?  or is there any standard way for the world?

Well it's correct for steam locomotives and shunters (switchers)
(counting the wheels) but there is a newer system for diesel and
electric locomotives:

Powered Axles are given letters A=1, B=2, etc.
Unpowered axles are given numbers for each axle.

For example the power car on the Metroliner would be 2-B or it could be
2-Bo - the 'o' stands for some sort of linking I forget what.

Most common designations are Bo-Bo, Co-Co, then the stranger ones,
1-Co-Co-1 and 1-A-1 1-A-1

--
Carbon 60
ICQ # 5643170