 Trains / 1298
Re: A4 Class Locomotive teaser & Wheel count designations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 21:58:22 GMT

Doug Glasnapp wrote:

  I have completed my first atempt at creating the British A4 Loco.
It's the streamlined A4 class british loco steam 4-6-2.  I have the
pictures developed, and my the redesign of my site is almost complete.
Once i get the pics scanned, i will finish up the site and let everyone
know about it.  Should be done by this weekend.

  Im using the small train wheels used on the road & rail trucks for the
small drivers, and the regular sized train wheels for the bigger
drivers.   I had trouble coming up with a way to get that many wheels on
a long plate.  I took the approach that TLG used in the 7777 idea book
with that long steam enigne.  The method works, but the way I have it,
the back end set of wheels swing out way too much(for my tastes) in the
curves. (pic below for atempted clarification)  I saw on J. Mathis page
that he used the ball and sockets to make it work, and allowing the
center set of wheels to slide perpendicular to the tracks. (its the one
green wagons with tri-axles)  I just want clarify that the two outer
axles are able to rotate, and are connected to the center axle with the
ball & socket, and the center axle is just designed to slide in the 1x2
holes in the wagon plate?  Would this work on a longer plate
dimesnions?  The composite plate dimensions are now 6x30, with the whole
loco actually 6x32, but im planning on making it a tad longer.  Is there
any more clarification I would need or am I all set?

(beware asci art!)
____
|   ------------\
|                \
==================
  /\ /\ /\ /\
O \/ \/ \/ \/  O O
|--| |------|  |-|
|     |         This one rotates on its own
|     The 9vmotor rotates
this set is attached to the motor with a 2x2 turntable and is not
attached to the train base(this is the part that exposes itself to much)

Also, about the wheel count designations, I saw someone counting the
number of axles to designate the loco(2-3-1 if you counted this loco
that way) and i am used to the counting of the actual wheels to
designate things(such as 4-6-2).  I do get my ideas from European model
catalogs and they count the wheels.  Is counitng axles the American
way?  or is there any standard way for the world?

Counting wheels is standard for the US.

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com