 Trains / 13097
Re: Train Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 14:17:51 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

"Poultron" <awood@iinet.net.au> wrote in message news:GIJryH.FCM@lugnet.com...
I'm thinking of adding a new section to my Lego collection... Trains!!! I
can see great potential in a Space / Train / Mindstorms cross-over. So my
question is - Monorail vs. Standard - What's the -real- difference?

I know that a while ago Lego produced a space monorail set. Do Lego still
produce monrail sets at all? In regards to their wheels, are the Monrail and
Standard interchangable? Is there any puritist thinking among the die-hard
traineys?

Bit of a confusing in your questioning I think.

Some answers

1. No. Lego do not make any monorail at present. As it is also quite desirable by many folks, expect to pay premium
prices on ebay
2. By 'standard' I presume you mean the current 9volt trains that are available at present. If so, then No. There is no
compatibility between monorail and 9v trains. There are no interchangeable parts. Apart from normal bricks of course.

Wait... normal 9V accessories too (i.e. lighting & wires...)
Josh

The simple way to understand the differences is just go look at the building instructions for one of the monorail sets.
look at http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/6000/6399/
look at http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/6000/6399/6399-09.html in particular.
There you can see the small wheel unit being attached underneath. The very small wheels are prebuit inside this unit.

Now look at http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/4000/4558/4558-12.html
THis is the carraige in a metroliner.

Totally different as you can see.

Other differences.
Train motor picks power up from rails
Monorail is battery

Track is totally different

Trains are 6 stud wide, monorail is 4 stud - though these mean nothing in MOC land

regards
lawrence