 Trains / 13009
  Re: Question for model RR gurus

(...) Yep, "cool and fun" are two big reasons! <grin> Being a computer programmer at my 'day job', programming RCXs is something I enjoy. It's a challenge, trying to reduce a problem to its simplest solution so I can control it with an RCX (or two, (...) (23 years ago, 18-Aug-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Trolley line automation

John Gerlach wrote in message ... (...) trolley (...) including (...) Aren't most trolleys double ended, so you can run them in either direction? What are you going to be using the turntable for? (Not criticising, just interested!) Dean Husby did a (...) (23 years ago, 18-Aug-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Trolley line automation

(...) If I may.... the reason is the pantograph pole-- if the trolley simply reverses, the pole would be pointed in the wrong direction. We toyed with ideas about flipping it back and forth, but nothing really seemed to work out. A double loop (...) (23 years ago, 18-Aug-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Trolley line automation

I guess I am going to show my age here. In Los Angeles, in the forties, the trolleys had a pole on both ends and the conductor simply pulled one down and raised the other. He then sat in the seat at the other end of the car and went the opposite (...) (23 years ago, 18-Aug-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Trolley line automation

(...) Same here in Melbourne (Aus), up till a few years ago when the last of the "W" class trams (which had a pole either end) were retired from service. It's a bit hard to automate this on a Lego layout, but maybe not impossible. You have to worry (...) (23 years ago, 18-Aug-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Trolley line automation

Ross Crawford wrote in message ... (...) the (...) "W" (...) bit (...) to (...) ensure (...) difficult if (...) Yes, this is how the ones I have seen work too. Is there actually going to be wire on the layout, though? That will be something to see! (...) (23 years ago, 19-Aug-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Trolley line automation

(...) So we are on the same track (no pun intended), In San Francisco there are Streetcars and Cable cars. The ones that climb the steep hills are cable cars. They move by gripping a cable under the street. The cable is moved by a large motor at the (...) (23 years ago, 20-Aug-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Trolley line automation

(...) If you're talking about F line, I rode it from one end to the other, changing cars several times by waiting for the next one at intermediate stops (1). Fun ride, it's worth doing if you're in SF and it's cheap too. It has reversing loops at (...) (23 years ago, 20-Aug-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Trolley line automation

(...) Ah, but some only had one pole. Now, for the bonus answer, how did they earth them? :) James P (23 years ago, 20-Aug-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Trolley line automation

(...) What did I tell you, people! Some incredibly geeky and small thing in my answer would be incorrect and James would be the one to point it out. Do I know how to call them or what? :-) I have no idea how they grounded them... conductive rubber (...) (23 years ago, 20-Aug-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Trolley line automation

(...) Yep...but, I _did_ phrase it as a special bonus Question :) (...) Na, they used a skate in a trolley track!-also, Melborne, Aus. had problems when the road works crews tore out some old trolley track, and lights went out...it turned out, that (...) (23 years ago, 21-Aug-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Trolley line automation

(...) Hehe There is an old truism the MR freelancers trot out when the rivet counters give them a hard time... No matter how bizzare, if you dig hard enough, there is probably a prototype for it somewhere. So what city was this in? (I know, I (...) (23 years ago, 21-Aug-01, to lugnet.trains)