 Trains / 12713
Re: Speed regulator question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 21:59:34 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Adam Murtha writes:
I was hoping one of you train heads could answer a question I have, why do
some train sets like 4558 (and 10001 I assume) not come with a speed
regulator?

Well, it does keep the cost down but I think the main reason is that TLC
struggles with the best way to deal with the multitude of different voltages
and plug styles for the wall wart. Separating out the regulator means that
not every set needs to have a country specific version. But I don't think
(and I am guessing, I have no specific knowledge) TLC has quite decided on
what is the most effective way to do it. 4559 came with a regulator. I don't
recall if it was available outside the US/Canada or not and if so, whether
it had the right regulator or what. 4561 which comes with a regulator, has a
non regulator version 4560 to finesse the problem.

I assume that it would be to keep the cost down, and most people
who buy Lego trains would already have at least one speed regulator, but for
someone like me who plans on getting 10001 as their first train set, not
having a speed regulator is just a pain.

ask on market.buy-sell-trade, there are lots of trainheads that have way too
many regulators. They are worth about 25 or so on the aftermarket... you can
also pay 42 I think it is from TLC directly.

So it's not TOO big of a pain, just a little one.