 Trains / 11802
Re: Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 13:41:07 GMT

In lugnet.harrypotter, Larry Pieniazek writes:
I agree those look like adventurers car wheels on the loco. You know, if
they modified the mold a bit to give deep flanges on one side and not the
other, those might actually work fairly well, and that might be cheaper than
all new tooling. Friction worries me though.

Why should friction be a problem?  Those wheels could slip and slide like
any other - it's only if you power them you need a good grip, and then you'd
probably use a standard 9V train motor, which has tyres.  It would probably
make a better looking front bogey too.

In lugnet.trains, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
  What about rubber bands of some kind in the grooves?  I know they've
  used Technic rubber bands around wheels before in small Technic
  sets, this could be a further evolution...

In lugnet.trains, Harvey Henkelman writes:
Didn't LEGO® use that arrangement in their Twisted Time Train set? -Harvey

Yes - look at <set:6497>.  That uses a special rubber ring on standard
technic 6-hole pulleys.  Picks up a lot of dirt though, and it won't work on
9V track!  Sorry to repeat myself (e-mail validation lag - can I subscribe
with paypal Todd?), but I reckon a technic-pin version of the old 4.5V
spoked wheels would look about right for what we have here.  Although I do
wonder now if they'd be a loose enough fit on the track to get that rear
bogey of 6 wheels round a curve.  Didn't the 12V motors have flange-less
wheels in the middle, like Hornby do on their ?-6-? engines, to solve this
problem?

Somehow, I just don't see Lego releasing anything that just runs on rims,
that were designed to take tyres.

Jason J Railton

P.S. The 5972 Olton Hall this is supposed to be modelled on is a 4-6-0
configuration.  This engine has that (sort of - all the wheels look the same
size though), but where's the tender?  But, I suppose if the price point
gets the kids into trains, we can't complain too much.  Better a carriage
than a tender for mass appeal.