 Trains / 11801
Re: Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:06:24 GMT

In lugnet.harrypotter, Matt Brooks writes:
"James J. Trobaugh" wrote:

Oh crud, I didn't notice the axle on the train wheels, they're probally not
train wheels at all, just spoked car wheels (like on the Adventure's cars)

jt

But isn't that the traditional train stuff on the front? (The bumper
things. NOt sure what they're called..) and the magnet? I think it's
probably compatible with 9V at least, if nothing else...

Matt

Looks like 9V buffers on the front, just like the CGI train on the Harry
Potter software box picture posted earlier.  It also looks like the engine
has a wagon plate for a base (2 plates high) like the MOT.  The spacing of
the front two wheels suggests to me that this would be a bogey, easily
replaced with a train motor.  But, the wheels themselves.  Hmm.

It's very hard to tell if they have outer flanges, like Adventurer wheels,
or if they've been moulded with large inner flanges to run on track.  I
think the front wheel, taking where the white streak has been added as its
edge, does not have an outer flange and so is not a standard Adventurer
wheel.  The dark area inside looks slightly wider, so this suggests an inner
flange suitable for running on rails.

I suspect that this is a new moulding, very similar to old 4.5V metal pegged
train wheels, but with the newer technic pin style mounting (which replaced
metal pins on the 2x2 basic wheels years ago).

As for the model itself, it's unremarkable enough to be genuine.  A more
BASIC approach to trains than the 9V range, but it's probably simplified for
the target audience, and to keep the price down.

I can't see any reason to shout 'HOAX!', but it doesn't really make any
difference until these do (or don't) get on the shelves.  The curtailed
auction with feeble 'dog ate my homework' type excuse is a little dubious,
but there could be many other reasons for it.  Acid test is whether Lego's
lawyers jump on it in the next few days.

Jason J Railton