 Trains / 11731
Re: Kadee® + LEGO® partnership? (was: Re: Final weeks for Nova Township Railroad)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 05:02:50 GMT

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 00:06:29 GMT, John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net>
wrote:

Jeff Christner wrote:

http://member.aol.com/regult/operation.html

The second URL contains all the information on how to make Kadee
couplers ("O" scale #806) work with LEGO. It also shows pictures of
the modified couplers, decoupling magnets, how the couplers work, and
a picture of a custom crossover, which is two switches set up to cross
from one parallel track to another, not a 90 deg grade crossing as
some call it.

Cool, Jeff.  I was wondering if you would share for everyone in more
detail how well using Kadee couplers have worked out for you.  What if
TLC were to enter into a licensing agreement with Kadee to produce
modified couplers for them with LEGO's name on them?  Would you consider
that a good idea?

The couplers worked great. The only problem was that LEGO train wheels
were a little too free rolling, and when shoving cars after uncoupling
them they tended to get away from you at times. However, free rolling
can be good if someone builds a large scale hump yard or for flat
switching cars in a regular yard. I should note that I never did use
the LEGO powerpack to run my trains, I always used an MRC powerpack.
The LEGO powerpack ran much too fast and would make using the Kadee
couplers difficult.

I don't think that just running trains around and around can be
considered an operating session. I would imagine that it's fun for
shows, but switching and making pickups and setoffs would be difficult
at best using LEGO pure uncouplers or the old 0-5-0. If LEGO and Kadee
cooperated with each other to create a LEGO/Kadee coupler that would
be great. This way even purists could get into the switching act. It
would make more shelf style switching layouts possible and would
enhance yard and industrial operations.

I have had the same thoughts-- am even in contact with Kadee R&D.  I
thought that it would be great to go full bore and get prototypical
Bettendorf trucks out of the deal as well (with a talgo style coupler
attached).

Would others like to see this kind of cooperation?  It is a large step in
the direction of model trains aimed more at adults than 11 year old
kids-- is there a demand for such a measure?  What do you all think?

-John

Jeff Christner

Visit Sixby Fire Tech at - http://members.aol.com/regult/

Help support my LEGO habit. Ship by rail.
Visit http://www.nscorp.com/ to find out how.