 Trains / 11730
Re: Kadee® + LEGO® partnership? ( was:Re: Final weeks for Nova Township Railroad)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 01:25:08 GMT

John Neal wrote:

Jeff Christner wrote:

http://member.aol.com/regult/operation.html

The second URL contains all the information on how to make Kadee
couplers ("O" scale #806) work with LEGO. It also shows pictures of
the modified couplers, decoupling magnets, how the couplers work, and
a picture of a custom crossover, which is two switches set up to cross
from one parallel track to another, not a 90 deg grade crossing as
some call it.

Cool, Jeff.  I was wondering if you would share for everyone in more
detail how well using Kadee couplers have worked out for you.  What if
TLC were to enter into a licensing agreement with Kadee to produce
modified couplers for them with LEGO's name on them?  Would you consider
that a good idea?

I have had the same thoughts-- am even in contact with Kadee R&D.  I
thought that it would be great to go full bore and get prototypical
Bettendorf trucks out of the deal as well (with a talgo style coupler
attached).

Would others like to see this kind of cooperation?  It is a large step in
the direction of model trains aimed more at adults than 11 year old
kids-- is there a demand for such a measure?  What do you all think?

I would very much welcome LEGO compatible Kadee couplers. I would be
less interested in trucks, but might give them consideration. There is a
real difference. A Kadee coupler would provide tremendous operational
enhancement and replace the least LEGO like train part. A truck would
replace a reasonably functional part, with one with less flexibility and
more detail. I'm not that interested in LEGO trains heading towards
being serious scale models of any sort, since if I want that, there are
plenty of options which have a much wider variety of products available
for them. I would apply the same criteria to any third party part. Track
components are another item which easily wins in my book (better
geometry, remote control turnouts, etc). There are certain detail parts
which would probably also win for me (some different windscreens for
example - of course for the most part, I'd like them to dissapoint the
8-widers, but a line of 8 wide windscreens would be neat also to give
the 8-widers more options also).

If Kadee comes out with a LEGO compatible coupler, I will buy even if
they don't do so in license with TLC. I think they have the
manufacturing capabilities to give us a quality ABS coupler box
(actually, this is the thing I would most like to see, provide us a
coupler box with studs which fits an existing line [probably O scale] of
couplers).

Frank