 Trains / 11625
Re: A few pieces of railroad equipment I designed...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 14:00:07 GMT

Seth,

That is a neat way to design you site.

Thanks! I really appreciate it. I want to add some more elements, the page
is a bit Spartan.

I wasn't too fond of your HP series,

Neither am I. The thing with those is that they were created when I was
basically getting my legs with MLCAD, just feeling around. I think I'm going
to scrap that design anyway. I want to design a more sleek and longer
locomotive, one somewhat similar to the TGV and the new GE locomotives for
the Long Island Railroad. Plus those scenes are too... boring.

but I liked your SW and D models. The rendered scenery is a nice touch that adds
to the display of your models.

Thanks! I keep running out of memory when I do it, unfortunately. I wanted
to have a few more buildings behind the D-27, and more station detail, but
it didn't work out.

There are some more drawings of a large railway station in the
http://www.svamcentral.org/lego/ directory, BTW.

I do have a few questions for you. Are those the actual weights?

Nope, never built these models. They may be, but I sure don't know, I really
don't have the pieces to build these. It's a blind guess, really.

How did you
determine the tractive efforts (assuming that they are actual numbers)?

Another wild guess, just a guesstimation, if you will.

Also,
the book I have lists tractive efforts as forces (lbs or kN) but you are listing
tractive effort as work (or energy, J)? Which is the right way to express
tractive effort?

I honestly don't remember... I last took Physics in 11th grade, some 6 years
ago. Now, I do recall that one of my railroad books mentioned tractive
effort, which I thought was how powerful the train is in pulling its load
along a route, or something like that.

Oh yeah, there isn't a "Products" link. There is a "Model" link.

Ooopsie...

Thanks, Chris. I think my memory is going.

Talk to ya later,

-Seth