 Trains / 11312
Re: Custom loco MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 02:58:27 GMT

Jake,

Hey, that looks great.
  A few comments...

I think that there should only be one blower housing. You have two bulges just
behind the cab, one on each side. I think that there should only be a bulge on
one side (the "driver's" side if it was a car).

Also, I think the front of the cab looks a little strange with the two steps
leading up to the windows. I think one step and a steep rise to the window might
look just a bit better.

I like the ladders/steps leading to the deck, but if you attach the steps to the
trucks you wouldn't need the extender. Having the ladders move as the engine
goes through tight corners looks a bit strange, but no stranger than a long coupler.

In any event, your first engine is a lot better than my first engine. Keep up
the good work!

Thanks for sharing,
Chris

Jake McKee wrote:

All,

After many hours and several versions, I have just posted the final
prototype (read: still in the works) of a locomotive MOC on brickshelf:

It is still in design phase (thus the flat gray color scheme, and wrong
color windows), so go easy on me! I would love to get some feedback on the
design. I have only recently started building trains, although I have been
interested for a long time. For this model, I borrowed some of the coolest
design elements from many real life locos, so it isn't a direct model of any
one real world loco.

A couple of interesting notes:

- As this loco goes down the track the ducts on the top actually spin. (You
can see the gearing in some of the shots)

- I actually pulled off several uses of the "half stud" concept, as well as
changes in stud direction (Thanks James Mathis!)

- The bottom of the front and back ends misses the power connector to the
track by millimeters!

- The ends swing out really far over the track in curves, so I have to add a
coupler extender if I want to connect cars.

Let me know what you think! Once I do a couple more tweaks, I am going to
rebuild it in color.

Thanks!
Jake

---