 Trains / 11316
Re: Custom loco MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 14:44:23 GMT

On Thu, 24 May 2001 01:50:51 GMT, "Josh Baakko" <shi_web@hotmail.com>
wrote:

I'd like to note one thing first, I LOVE the buldged out windows on the
side, but any real locomotive would only have it on one side, the engineer's
side (passenger side if it were a car...).  The bulged window is usually
left white also...  But anyways it looks good.  I like the 1x1x2 window idea
too.  coupler extention? haha!  Grey's a nice color for locos, look at
mine...  I also like how the first version has 3 windows!, cool
Josh

(I've also got an HO scale Blue & grey, modeled after my lego works.)

As everyone knows, just about everything can be prototypical. Many NS
units feature dual controls, that is, the engineer can run from either
side of the engine. There are two seperate control stands. And, you
guessed it, these engines have all weather windows, the buldged
windows on the side of the cab, on both sides of the unit. Most other
older NS units are designed for long hood foward operation, so on
units such as that the all weather window would be on the opposide
side, or drivers side in reference to a car. Since we don't know
exactly what unit this is modeled after, its tough to say if it's a
dual control unit or not.

The windows are there so the engineer dosen't have to stick his head
out into the elements to see the hand signals given by the trainmen on
the ground.

In keeping this reply on topic, this unit looks great. The steps make
it look like you could just climb aboard. One small detail is that the
bulges (possible blower housing type things?) just behind the cab
would be on one side only. Normally they're on the left side. The
other side is kept free to act as a walkway from the cab to the rear
of the unit. Also I would think there would be a place to fill the
fuel tank and a fuel level gauge on both sides of the tank.

Jeff Christner

Visit Sixby Fire Tech at - http://members.aol.com/regult/

Help support my LEGO habit. Ship by rail.
Visit http://www.nscorp.com/ to find out how.