 Trains / 10631
Re: I'm kinda sorta train voltage complete
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 03:47:17 GMT

Alan Demlow wrote:

I'm planning on making some 9V-12V converter wires (I've been buying a

It isn't that hard to run 12V stuff using a 7864 transformer.  All you need
(besides the 7864) is a 110V->220V stepup transformer, which would run you
$20-30.  The 7864 has the advantage of being able to run accessories without
having everything jerry-rigged.  I've done this for awhile, and it works fine.
I much prefer the 12V line.  It isn't quite as smooth as 9V and the track is
more trouble to put together, but the RC stuff is sooooo much more fun!

Ahh, but then I'd have to get a 7864... The only other 12V accessories I
have are lamps.

I did notice one thing, not sure if anyone else has actually tried
(surely someone must have). The extra wheels to turn the 12V train motor
into a 6 wheel motor also can be attached to a 9V train motor. Of course
still you can't use the siderod.

Frank