 Town / 9457
9456  |  9458
Subject:
ULUG attends the Great Train Expo in Salt Lake City
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.ulug, lugnet.trains, lugnet.town, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 18:28:44 GMT

To all,

Over the weekend (February 9th and 10th) ULUG participated at the Great Train Expo in Salt Lake City. This is our second show together. Our last show was a success but we still needed to work out a few minor issues.

We were warmly received by the GTE. In fact, LEGO was the top billing on their ads and website. We were also placed right inside of the main doors on the ground level (other train lay-outs were upstairs).

We met 4 new LEGO Builders and collectors (AFOLS). All were excited to find a LUG and immediately wanted to participate.

So with many thanks for the comments we would like to present our latest show.

Things we do well:
• “I Spy” game for attendees
• Amount of Trains and Track
• Interaction with the crowd. We had at least 9 LUG members at the lay-out all day on Saturday. Good thing, the display was mauled by people (2 or 3 deep at times)

Major New highlights:
• NXT animation (Train stops at depot, forklift loads palettes)
• City with roads
• Mountain, Tunnel and Dragon
• Hogwarts (Harry Potter)
• Airplane Wreckage
• Oswald’s Legoghini Cars (Animation: Legoghini in window spins)
• River with bridge
• Monorail
• Remodeled Wharf Crane
• Two Train Loops
• Working Train Surfer

Minor Highlights
• More coverage with baseplates
• Improved Transitions (WIP)
• More coherent lay-out (WIP)
• The use of TrackDraw

WIP
• Better Transitions. (This is actually harder than anticipated)
• Joining the base plates. (We are a small LUG and will probably always use base plates. We need sidewalks, etc. To hold the base plates together)
• Details. We have a good working lay-out: city, train yard, ocean/port, farm, mountain, monorail. Now we just need to constantly improve.

Here is the moderated Brickshelf

Here are two videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AWsKmhqk5s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf-WZLZ2cRw

I would appreciate any and all feedback on how we can continue to improve.

Thanks,
Brian