 Town / 4450
Re: Anyone Else Missing Town?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 18:19:58 GMT

Ben & All,

Well they have had the odd town set since then.

In a way, yes. But I think the last decent year IMO was 1996. 1997 and the
launch of Town Junior (a.k.a. City Center) was the end of decent sets that
were released. The lst few years, with the exception of sub-themes like
RES-Q and Alpha Team seem decent, the majority of releases were not
inspiring. I think that is when most of the designers were fired, IIRC.

I think the newer sets that might pass as Town (Racers, Alpha Team) seem
very weak. THe plots limit their scope, and then they die off. I think most
of them are just vehicles, and maybe one base, and that's it. No buildings
for the most part, no portable HQ, etc. Just your minifig, a vehicle, and
that's about it.

I think of Adventurers as a recent history kind of theme, although it can be
townish, it is not a modern town.

But I guess some of the subthemes they want us to pass for town...like Race, >Life on Mars, etc.

Right.

We have the 2 newest lego Legends, but these are re-issues, along with the
Gas N Wash Express (another re-issue).

Which are great, I think.

So Town hasn't disappeared altogether...and then there is still remnants
of City (aka dreaded town junior).  I think the rest of the production
schedule for 2002 goes like this:

Well, City Center doesn't qualify for me, but....

Retail: StarWars Ep. II, Extreme Island sets (supposed to compete with
Megablocks Skateboard sets), Studio's Monster line-up, Harry Potter II
(Chamber of Secrets) as far as I know (was revealed).

I don't really consider Studios to be Town either. It seems more like props,
which is the intention. I can't see using Spiderman or Dracula in a town
layout, outside of the laugh or surprise effect.

That goes up to probably October.  There might be "surprises" like we
already had, ie Town Legends and Sante Fe this winter, and the Blacksmith
Shop (MOC) set.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were more sets that
came out, but probably not from Space, unfortunately, for obvious
marketing reasons, (not for preference reasons).

I think Trains have really taken over what Town could have been. With
trains, and especially train clubs, you can see great town models,
everything from big office buildings to train stations to McDonalds to
Starbucks to Shell Stations. I think most of the creative town MOCS have
been from these sources.
The train line continues to impress me, while whatever is supposed to be
town isn't.

When I built my Shell Station,

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/Creations/Shell-Station/shell-station-index.htm

I took inspiration from the latest Shell sets that were offered, but I
wanted to build a realistic station for once. I was tired of seeing their
stations. I think I have a few of their latest stations, and I was inspired
to build a better one.

On the re-release of Pizza to Go and the Breezeway Cafe, it seems they are
attempting to shore up a hole in their product line for such items. I only
hope that brings about more of them.

In conclusion, I do miss town, but as the years progress, I am starting to
see what can be done by myself and my inspirations, and others. I am
becoming less concerned with LEGO coming out with good sets, since they are
trying to do things to make this generation of kids like their products. I
only hope some of the services I use (Bulk bricks, LEGENDS, trains) will
continue to grow and prosper. If things like Bionicle and Galidor make them
money, and continue to
service me all the better. We shall see.

Scott S.