 Town / 3276
Re: New Fire Station
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 13:02:52 GMT

In lugnet.town, Tom Duggan writes: • (A few snips here and there)
I like the mid-mounts because they allow the
trucks to get closer to the fire building, becuase there is less truck
between the building and the turntable

I must have missed all this discussion, where was I?  Nevermind, wife had me
remodeling the kitchen, now I know where I was.

From a real life perspective it depends on where you set your apparatus as
to how much "scrubbing" (reach) of a building you can get.  With most
aerials today, you no longer have to worry about setting your ladder to the
front or back of the truck, but can take it off the side (Thank God for
hydraulic outriggers)

Ideally, either with rear-mounts or mid-mounts, you want to postion your
truck at a corner, persay if you are at the side 1-2 corner of a building,
place your turntable so that it will allow you to angle your ladder on side
1, and run down the side of side 2.  With most structures, you can cover the
entire structure with 2 ladders, one at the side 1-2 corner and one at the
side 3-4 corner and so forth.

(Aerial Ops class, anyone??  I'll happily teach it, using the real
cirricullum.  :o)

I would like to build
a Large Modern station, Rodney Gentry has a Wonderful one on Brickshelf,
but I am lacking the peices right now

Thanks for the compliments, Tom!  The inspiration for that station is one
that was recently built in the outskirts of Chicago, but everything else I
have done is from local stations.  I am looking at a couple more "modern"
station, as soon as I am paroled from Kitchen remodeling.

I just picked up about 30 each of the Shell fire boat and EMS trike, plus
ran across almost 48 various sets from the filmmaker series for a little of
nothing.  Time to go back to the lego drawing board.

Jeff, I really wish you could hang in there.  I do know where you are coming
from though, with the juniorization of late.  Not to mention the addition of
a little one in your life, it kinda changes priorities.  I am sure I will be
in the same boat before long, me and my wife are trying.  (no mental
pictures, please  :o)   I o have to say, even with the lack of parts, some
of the newer guys have done quite well with what is available.

On the midmounts, I have 2 right now (Towers 3 and 10).  I simply like the
midmounts because I dont have to kill 8 ladder sections for making the
rearmounts, although Station 14 is now in the works, with a new rearmount
being built.  Look for new additions to Beaver Lake FD too.  Though they
dont have a website as of yet (Again, the Kitchen) look for some new stuff,
especially in older type trucks.

I apologize to those that have emailed me recently and I have not responded,
I am going back and trying to play catch up right now.

Lord almighty, thats the most I have said in months  :o)

Rodney Gentry
Lieutenant, Roanoke County Fire and Rescue  <<< The real identity!
Senior Aerial Ops/Tiller Ops Instructor
Roanoke County, VA                     (To show I'm not really making
                                                all the ladder stuff up)

and the infamous

Woodchuck County Fire and Rescue
http://members.aol.com/whstlpig05/Woodchuckmain.html