 Town / 2594
2593  |  2595
Subject:
Jr. Town Shame?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 20:12:59 GMT

I did not enter my town layout in the building contest, because I felt
vaguely embarrassed at it. After a little thought, and after reviewing all
the entries, I realized why - I was embarrassed at how "Junior-ized" it is.

It's not all Jr., mind you. I have some MOCs, and some of the “golden age
Lego buildings” - the  Metro train station (#4554) and hospital, for
instance, but it has a fair Jr. component.  I have the Jr. #6566 Bank, the
Jr. repair facility ( I can’t find the number), the Jr. #6330 Cargo Center,
and the McDonalds, which might not be Jr. but is not noticeably different.
And when you have Jr. buildings, it’s hard to also have a realistically
scaled building. My MOCs are larger, but are on what I guess I would have to
call a “Jr. Appropriate Scale” - they are not so big as to make a Jr.
building unacceptable.

The obvious thought here, then, is to remove the Jr. cancer and build again,
but that has two problems- 1) infrastructure and 2) philosophy.

1) Infrastructure, both mine and Lego.  I don’t have the room to have a
reasonably scaled town set up in my house. All I can dedicate to my Town is
the top of a spare bed, and having realistic sized buildings would make my
town only one, maybe two, streets.  And for myself, I want a larger space
than that.  The road plates are designed for smaller buildings, as are the
trees and such, and even the non-Jr. sets from long ago are not that much
bigger.  And if I accept the Metro Train Station as being a decent structure
(and I do), that sets the scale for the rest of the town, so why would I
realistically build other buildings larger?  Which brings us to:

2) Philosophy: If I like Lego, and like some of the Lego town sets, how can
I toss away their Town scale?

How do you regard those who depend on Lego sets for their town? For the
reason mentioned above, and because I like to have as large a town (numbers
and range wise) as possible, I use a lot of the Town sets, and then add
homes and other essentials (video stores, bars, etc) that they don’t make.
But the stuff I add is on a Lego scale, which nowadays means a Jr. scale.
And I guess what I want to know, is that weak? I know building from scratch
would be better, but I think we all accept that there are some sets that are
nice, but using them accepts a smaller non-realistic scale. Thoughts?