 Town / 2598
Re: Jr. Town Shame?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 01:10:09 GMT

In lugnet.town, Chuck Rex writes:
I did not enter my town layout in the building contest, because I felt
vaguely embarrassed at it. After a little thought, and after reviewing all
the entries, I realized why - I was embarrassed at how "Junior-ized" it is.

Personally, I think this is a bad reason not to submit an entry...I mean
it is your collection right?  You should have some pride it it....not
to say that you don't -

It's not all Jr., mind you. I have some MOCs, and some of the “golden age
Lego buildings” - the  Metro train station (#4554) and hospital, for
instance, but it has a fair Jr. component.

See the above comments...if you have moc's that is really great, and a
couple other older sets besides town junior, even better.  I personally
have other themes added onto my collection, like a few pirate sets, a
couple castle sets, and a couple sets from the adventurers theme -
the pharoh's ruins makes a pretty nice looking egyptian history museum...
I think (especially when you add the sphinx secret surprise.

I have the Jr. #6566 Bank, the Jr. repair facility ( I can’t find the >number),

[that is the roadside repair, right....]

the Jr. #6330 Cargo Center, and the McDonalds, which might not be Jr. but is
not noticeably different.
And when you have Jr. buildings, it’s hard to also have a realistically
scaled building. My MOCs are larger, but are on what I guess I would have to
call a “Jr. Appropriate Scale” - they are not so big as to make a Jr.
building unacceptable.

The obvious thought here, then, is to remove the Jr. cancer and build again,
but that has two problems- 1) infrastructure and 2) philosophy.

Well if you do decide to start over and remove the "cancer", you can think
about selling me your 6566 Bank, because I am seriously looking to
purchase a couple more...I plan on making a Bank HQ Moc with one...
complete with a real customer service desk, a large-sized safe (with
safety deposit boxes)

1) Infrastructure, both mine and Lego.  I don’t have the room to have a
reasonably scaled town set up in my house. All I can dedicate to my Town is
the top of a spare bed, and having realistic sized buildings would make my
town only one, maybe two, streets.  And for myself, I want a larger space
than that.  The road plates are designed for smaller buildings, as are the
trees and such, and even the non-Jr. sets from long ago are not that much
bigger.  And if I accept the Metro Train Station as being a decent structure
(and I do), that sets the scale for the rest of the town, so why would I
realistically build other buildings larger?  Which brings us to:

sounds like my house...I don't have any room at all for my collection...
and what's worse is I got about 10,000 to 13,000 Lego in a laundry hamper
that is mostly mixed...:-(
The real problem is my sister is 13 and she has a bad habit of wrecking
my models....I assumed that she would take more care of the stuff as she
got a little older, but she hasn't quite yet (and Lego put 6-12 on all its
sets...shame)
What I really want to do is set up a "section of the city" one at a time,
take pic's and then store the models from each section on their own
shelving unit...
....and store my trains on their own display case....

2) Philosophy: If I like Lego, and like some of the Lego town sets, how can
I toss away their Town scale?

I don't know....if you are really cramped for space, then don't buy any of
the newest police stations....well you could buy the LEGO Super Rescue
Center....that has a mini-station on it...and a bunch of extra elements
(a bit too over-priced though)

How do you regard those who depend on Lego sets for their town? For the
reason mentioned above, and because I like to have as large a town (numbers
and range wise) as possible, I use a lot of the Town sets, and then add
homes and other essentials (video stores, bars, etc) that they don’t make.

There are a few ways to get around this....1) Velux has a house that they
sell, $25 plus shipping.  Another way is to buy Basic set 725 (it is a
real nice house set).  "Holiday Home" is another nice more "upscale"
house with drive way, covered back porch, etc.  And Paradisa put out
a poolside Paradise...that is also a more upscale house.

But the stuff I add is on a Lego scale, which nowadays means a Jr. scale.

I'll give you one clue how to get around this problem....one word
E-Bay (you can bid on the sets that are closing....)

And I guess what I want to know, is that weak? I know building from scratch
would be better, but I think we all accept that there are some sets that are
nice, but using them accepts a smaller non-realistic scale. Thoughts?

I think you should do what ever you think is good for your town...I mean
only you can decided what is best.  I use a variety of sets, scale and
theme because that adds differentiation and uniqueness.  I want all
my sets to be functional (that is serve a purpose, but also want them
to be aranged enough to be unique.  That is the town, not the sets -
I want them to stay the same.