 Town / 2600
Re: Jr. Town Shame?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 02:03:46 GMT

My previous towns have been pretty heavily juniorized (often with only 6 or
8 studs of depth on the buildings!).
http://members.home.net/hmltn1/city1.htm
http://members.home.net/hmltn1/city2.htm

I have encountered some of the same problems with un-juniorizing.

As far as the problem with mixing juniorized and non-juniorized buildings,
the solution is simple: Ditch the stock LEGO sets and use only MOC's.  The
real fun of LEGO is creativity, so use yours!  If you build all the
buildings yourself, then build them the way you want them.

The second problem is more of an issue.  It is true that the road plates are
designed for buildings with very little depth.  To get around this, you must
intersperse purely green plates in the middle of the blocks to provide more
space.

Space is another concern.  I have a 5'x10' space which, in LEGO city 2,
provided tons of space for tall, yet rediculously thin buildings.

In Bricktopia, my latest city
http://members.home.net/hmltn1/topia/topia.htm ), I'm building more
realistically.  Many of the buildings are over 1 32x32 baseplate deep!
These buildings could conceivably be used in real life with their actual
floorplans.  Many of the buildings even have 4 sides and a roof.  They open
up and/or come apart to see the interiors.  The tradeoff with this is that
I'm chewing up space really fast!  Because of this, I've just had to accept
that my newer town will have much less buildings than my previous one.  To
keep a realistic scale, the buildings aren't quite as tall either.

A different way to go is to create a "virtual" town.  This is the approach
taken by San Dilego (see recent post to the town newsgroup).  If you go to
the imag directory, you will see tons of great buildings that "feel" like
they are all built together.  In fact, they were built at separate times
with the same bricks.  It is amazing how it all fits together as a coherent
whole.  I used this technique for my Aqua-Metropolis town
(http://members.home.net/hmltn1/aqua/main.htm ).

A final issue of "more realistic building" is that you go through bricks
like crazy.  Be prepared to be able to build a lot less structures
irrespective of space!  I find that a building with a back on it takes at
LEAST 30%-50% more bricks than an opened-backed one.  This is because the
back usually tends to use more basic bricks than the front so you use more
bricks (although you do use less of the rarer specialized parts).  Also,
having a detailed interior, with inside partitions can also really eat
things up.  Again, the solution is to build less buildings that are bigger
and more realistic.

Chuck Rex <chuckrex@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I did not enter my town layout in the building contest, because I felt
vaguely embarrassed at it. After a little thought, and after reviewing all
the entries, I realized why - I was embarrassed at how "Junior-ized" it • is.

It's not all Jr., mind you. I have some MOCs, and some of the "golden age
Lego buildings" - the  Metro train station (#4554) and hospital, for
instance, but it has a fair Jr. component.  I have the Jr. #6566 Bank, the
Jr. repair facility ( I can't find the number), the Jr. #6330 Cargo • Center,
and the McDonalds, which might not be Jr. but is not noticeably different.
And when you have Jr. buildings, it's hard to also have a realistically
scaled building. My MOCs are larger, but are on what I guess I would have • to
call a "Jr. Appropriate Scale" - they are not so big as to make a Jr.
building unacceptable.

The obvious thought here, then, is to remove the Jr. cancer and build • again,
but that has two problems- 1) infrastructure and 2) philosophy.

1) Infrastructure, both mine and Lego.  I don't have the room to have a
reasonably scaled town set up in my house. All I can dedicate to my Town • is
the top of a spare bed, and having realistic sized buildings would make my
town only one, maybe two, streets.  And for myself, I want a larger space
than that.  The road plates are designed for smaller buildings, as are the
trees and such, and even the non-Jr. sets from long ago are not that much
bigger.  And if I accept the Metro Train Station as being a decent • structure
(and I do), that sets the scale for the rest of the town, so why would I
realistically build other buildings larger?  Which brings us to:

2) Philosophy: If I like Lego, and like some of the Lego town sets, how • can
I toss away their Town scale?

How do you regard those who depend on Lego sets for their town? For the
reason mentioned above, and because I like to have as large a town • (numbers
and range wise) as possible, I use a lot of the Town sets, and then add
homes and other essentials (video stores, bars, etc) that they don't make.
But the stuff I add is on a Lego scale, which nowadays means a Jr. scale.
And I guess what I want to know, is that weak? I know building from • scratch
would be better, but I think we all accept that there are some sets that • are
nice, but using them accepts a smaller non-realistic scale. Thoughts?