 Town / 14
Re: Cars, Trucks, & other essentials.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 14:59:23 GMT

In lugnet.town, Sanjay D'Souza writes:
James J. <jejackso@memphis.edu> wrote in message
news:FIBqEr.M73@lugnet.com...
Is there anyone out there who has suggestions for car designs/colors or • even
building necessity (police sta., fire house, reg. house, etc.) suggestions
based on the current LEGO town set line-up?

James J.

Judging by the colours of various sets over the years:

1) "Transport" related sets have the basic colours of Red and White.
2) "City Maintanence" sets have the  basic colours of Red and Yellow.
3) "Public Works" vehicles have the basic colours of Yellow and Black

Hope this helps

Sanjay

It does help out some. However, I've been asking myself the question can't
things be a little less monotonous? Most LEGO equipment is based upon rules and
roads in Denmark & other corners of western Europe (hence the white dotted line
streets and the fact that there are no yellow diamond signs, but the white/red
triangle signs represent the same thing.) This is why in LDraw, I created a
road plate with yellow dotted lines. I am also trying to sell TLG the idea of
Orange and Yellow construction hard hats (typical for America), as well as the
fact that no matter how many Hitlers, Napoleons, and Klans pop up, all the
people in the world will never be "yellow". This is why the field commander of
my new space outfit is one of the 2 first brown-skinned LEGO minifigs created
for my usage. (There is also a black businessman sitting in my bank for
Datsville. (see lugnet.cad.dat.models)) The only coincidence in transport is
that Northwest Airlines (the carrier in the Memphis International Airport with
over 40% of the working slots) has a whole fleet of red, white, & gray
aircraft. Most other American carriers (except for the brown Southwest
Airlines) have primarily blue & white outfits. Evergreen (duh), Burlington Air
Express & the Burlington Northern & Santa Fe Railroad have green-based color
schemes.
By the way, the latest "recycle truck" has a blue color scheme. However, in
Memphis, the regular garbage trucks are solid white (except for the garbage
stains ;{ ) and the recycle trucks are tan & brown (and do not have wheels like
monster trucks!) Corporate trash companies usually have their own color
schemes. Also they do not provide the illusion of recycling (unless that's
their protocol) by placing a recycle icon on the side of the truck. With
Construction vehicles, yellow & black are usually the only colors around
(except for privately contracted cement mixers & truck cranes). However, I'm
thinking of going with orange, or even day-glow green & purple (see
Transformers' Constructions)! You would drop your jaw if a fleet of bright
green (0, 255, 0) trucks came down your street. A set I plan to offer TLG
involves a vintage orange sports car and a black cruiser entitled "Ridge
Runners." If it looks good, I want to make use of the suspension spring wheel
plates (in dark gray or blue). Otherwise, I want to de-"Town Jr." the next
millenium's town collection. If anyone wants to help me with that project (esp.
if they use LDraw/LEdit), they're welcome to join me with the promise that they
recieve full credit if TLG becomes interested.
If anyone wants to offer future advice on Town or Space sets or a merger
between both (that's better looking than Space Port's rockets & shuttles),
reply and I'll find time to reply. Thank you for reading this far.
     James J.