 Technic / 9726
Re: Infinitely Variable Transmission (IVT)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 01:47:54 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gerard Steenbeek writes:
I have replicated some more technology used in agriculture.. ;) IVT
transmissions are used in tractors  for a few years, but are also appearing
in busses, cars and other vehicles.

An IVT is a Type of CVT (continuously variable transmission). An IVT
generally uses planetary gears. The engine is connected to the sun gear,
planet gears are connected to 1 planet carrier and the whole thing runs
inside a ring gear. The planet carrier is connected to an output shaft, the
ring gear is connect to the engine but through a device that can speed up or
slow down the speed. This is often done through hydrostatic drive, which
allows variable speeds but is not powerful enough for heavy applications.
Hydrostatic drive will do for the ring gear of an IVT.

This exact same result can be acheived with the humble differetial -
powering it with 2 motors, the output will be the sum of the two inputs.

ROSCO