 Technic / 9493
Re: new jack
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 10:56:26 GMT

"Paul Krieg" <pdkrieg@epix.net> wrote in message

AS an opperator of some of these types of lifts I thought I'de share.

Thanks Paul, interesting indeed! I had no idea that those machines were
difficult to drive in a straight line, although I have seen one which had
very large and bold arrows indicating which direction was forward, a matter
of some importance I imagine :-)

I assume that those machines are designed to stay balanced in the event of a
tyre puncture, but I always wondered about driving over a pothole or
something similar; presumably there is a large degree of balance designed in
to prevent the machine toppling in such an event. Presumably they look more
precarious than they are!

To clarify the notion of simultaneous movement I mentioned, I saw an example
this morning where the two boom sections similar to that designed by Pixel
was driven by a single hydraulic cylinder, and linkages kept the two parts
at equal angles to the horizontal. The two independent movements is probably
smarter looking though.

Jennifer