 Technic / 9353
Re: how many creators
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 16:44:44 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Paul Kleniewski writes:
hi
i should ask lego directly but they probably have more important work to do
:)

i'm curious
- how many creators build models for lego (especially technic)?

some models are really great while some are... pure
- is it only because of age of target group? (i suppose not)
- what pressure marketing staff puts on the "shape" of creations
- why they add violet or light green parts to technic stuff
(maybe it's targeting to girls :)

- is it really so expensive to produce bricks so they are so... expensive?

when i see shelfs full of bionicle only
i cannot imagine how lego is going to increase the sale
even xmas gives me nothing (in shops... in poland) why why why???
on lego.com i read info that lego fired 160 ppl because of pure xmas sale
if lego is too expensive maybe putting prices down on xmas would help
(let say that RIS20 costs as same as hipermarket worker earns)

in poland we have one company which creates 100% compatible bricks
they even won in court copyright trial against lego (in fact lego against
COBI)
i remember when lego advertise itself on TV
now i can see only COBI bricks in TV and cinema comercials :(
cobi sets are for less than half price comparing to simmilar lego sets
is lego going to leave polish market
is it happening worldwide???

i know you guys don't know too much about polish market
but is it happening everywhere
tell me what is really going on
I have been disappointed in LEGO lately.  It seems they are giving in to low
mentality, cut to the chase, parts and sets.  I remember when there was a lot
of technic on the store shelves.  Now it is Bionicle and Mega blocks. :-(
I wonder why they can't cater to the many folks out there who seem to like
building super realistic models.  Functioning models would teach so much more
and are more relevant.  I think they used to even if those models seem simple
by todays standards.  I like to be amazed at how things work.  It's no fun if
nothing does.  Even town, space, and under water themes, etc. Have lost there
innocents and true to life touch.  I remember reading an article in a
nauticle industry trade magazine in which the writer was so impressed to see
the LEGO people visiting and asking questions at a trade show of sorts.  LEGO
wanted to get it right.  That is real value in a toy.  I wish I had that
article now.  I could go on. To answere your question - yes.  I feel it is the
same here (PA,USA) too.   :-(

pixel

oops i made offtipic post - sorry
but i started from technic question :)