 Technic / 9257
Re: Centrifugal clutch?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 07:03:18 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Brian B. Alano writes:
Has anyone made a centrifugal clutch from Lego bricks? Searching Google, lugnet
news, and brickshelf didn't turn up anything.

I found a Meccano one here: http://users.actcom.co.il/~anthias/clutch.htm

Hm... This can't be too hard to construct using LEGO, but I have been known to
make mistakes before :)

I'm thinking a large rim, such as the one for the <set:8448> Super Car Mk II,
an axle goes through the rim with one stud lenght sticking out on the inside.
The outside shaft is attched to what ever needs to be driven. An round hole
axle sleeve is attached on the inside one stud axle protruding. The "live"
drive axle is also attched into this bit. Then some weights are needed to grip
the inner side of the rim. It does not have to slide against an axle, it can be
"lever" attached, much like in a RC Car clutch differential. I can't see what
parts to use for this but I'm sure it can be done. However the lever clutch
thingie can only rotate in one direction.

How ever it's strenght, or clutch power, will be very limited IMHO. At the same
time the whole thing will be pretty big.

Another real use for these clutches are found in chain saws.
http://home.howstuffworks.com/chainsaw4.htm

Perhaps two flat disks put side to side will give enough clutch power to move
the switch when the motor is on high RPMS but when idle the switch can move by
itself?

I'm motorizing a monorail switch (which was surprisingly easy), but I'd like to
disengage the drive train when it's idle so the monorail train can still come
"backwards" through the switch and take advantage of the normal automatic
switching capability.

I suppose spring loading the drive mechanism and using a very small force to
move it won't help out? I have never seen a monorail part with my own eyes so I
don't know how it works...

Best regards,
/Tobbe
http://www.lotek.nu