 Technic / 8497
Re: Truck project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 19:08:38 GMT

"Gaurav Thakur" <cp5670@3dap.com> wrote in message
news:H5yxEp.CM4@lugnet.com...
I have to fit a compressor to in there. I do not have a air-tank (yet). • Do I
realy need one?
Only going to use pneaumatics on the crane.
I think it really depends on how many pneumatic functions (valves) you are
planning to put in. If you have three or less, you can usually get away • with
a standard handpump, but for more than that a compressor is a good idea. I
will have six functions so I decided to drop one in there, and it's • supposed
to be a (unofficial) successor to the Airtech Claw Rig anyway, so I guess • it
would have to include a compressor. ;) As for the air tank, it's usually a
good idea if some of the pistons are going to be moving heavy stuff since • it
allows them to move much more smoothly, but it isn't absolutely necessary. • I
happened to have a couple of extra compressor pumps and air tanks lying
around anyway, so I decided I might as well use them here.
Ok. So since I only going for 2 in the crane (maybe 3 for strength) and one
on the tipper (or maybe two for length here), I realy dont need the tank?
Anyone that have a SMALL and COMPACT solution to controlling the valves
through the RCX? There should have been magnetical pnaumatic valves avaiable
from Lego, maybe I build a realy small one myself?
That would be a nice thing Lego could have made next  :)

Sounds quite nice and compact. Did you use bevel gears in the front area • to
connect them to the differential? Also, have you had any problems getting
the drivetrain in the front through the steering rack area? I remember
having a little trouble with this, although the 4x4 Off-Roader mechanism
does this very nicely. You are planning to use the 8457/8466 wheels on • this,
right? (the really huge ones)
I realy want to use the 8461/8458 Wheels, but I only got 4 of them :(
I'm searching the town for a Silver Champion set right know. Those wheel
will give the truck a "street look" but right now I'm using the 8466 wheels
(have eight of them), this give the truck a "offroad look", so it would
probably be more lika a TARA truck.

The hardest part on mine so far has probably been to get the suspension
right, and I toyed around with a number of designs for several weeks • before
settling on the one in the images. Hopefully that will be good enough.
As you probably can see on my Brichshelf page, I've toyed around a lot with
the suspension.
And even when I was pretty satisfied with the design I have changed it. And
would probably make another change when I go furthere into making a stiff
chassis.

On a side note, since it looks like you have the Williams F1, do you know
what kinds of shock absorbers it uses? I have the original Silver • Champion,
which has the small, yellow shock absorbers; I have found these to be very
useful due to their heavy stiffness, but I only have the four from that • set
and cannot find extras anywhere out there, but perhaps they are there just
under a different color...
The Williams F1 uses the same parts all over, included the dampers, only
diffrent colors. The only parts that differs are the panel firings, they are
smother on the Williams F1.
And they have rebuilt the front and rear wing. Otherwise it is indentical.
But I would like to have the Silver Champion only for the color on the
parts. I like black. :)
The absorbers are stiffer as you say, but in my construction they was TOO
stiff. So I changed back to the standard 6.5L dampers (part # 732 /731). The
chassis is pretty light right now.

I have built with Lego from I was born, almost, and have used Techninc
Bricks since it first came out (yes. I am old), and have also used the • beams
to much... I'm trying to use other methods but goes back to the standard
techninc Bricks with holes time after time
LOL same here (got an 8024 when I was 3 :D), although I was born as • Technic
was just starting to enter its "golden age." (I am 16 but I think I will • be
playing with this stuff my entire life :D)
I hope you will play with it your entire life, but it looks like almost
everyone here that is a bit old (like myself) have a rather dark period of
Lego building time in their lifes. My was the time from when I went to the
navy and spent 3 years on a submarine. But after I got my own apartment I
started to play with Lego again.

But I think the Tara trucks have the strongest impact on my construction. • I
like the roughness on the Tara trucks. And they look so simple too, but • they
are realy verry complex.
Is Tara a truck company?
Russian truck company I think.
I know I've resently visited their site, but I've forgotten to save the URL
:(
But I will send it when I find it again.

Anwyay, let me know how your model progresses. :)
Well, I've tried to put a chassis on it now. And you can look at it at
brickshelf: