 Technic / 8471
Re: Truck project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:42:57 GMT

"Gaurav Thakur" <cp5670@3dap.com> wrote in message
news:H5sFIz.5qC@lugnet.com...
Looks like everyone is making custom trucks. :) Your design so far looks
great and quite superior to mine; I like the differential assembly used in
the front, as it seems that it would save a few studs of space between the
wheels. Are those the Silver Champion liftarm parts used in the rear wheel
areas? Also, what is the finished model intended to look and work like in
general?

I won't say that mine is superior to your design. It looks like you got in
nice and compact. And you got a few steps further in the construction than I
have done :)
But I'm going to use bigger wheels than you, and therefore the space between
the wheels will look smaller (just cheating a bit there :)

Bu I would say your construction looks far better than mine.
Have you put an difrential between the wheels? I can see that you have
suspension and it looks like you have drive too, but drive on all or just
the non-steerable wheels?
I have to fit a compressor to in there. I do not have a air-tank (yet). Do I
realy need one?
Only going to use pneaumatics on the crane.

And yes I have drive on all wheels, and suspension on all wheels.
And there is 20 studs between the outside of the yellow on the
wheel-hub-conection on the front suspension system. That was the smallest I
could get it, and still have paralell movement on the wheels (two universal
joints on both sides).
The rear has 22 studs between the inside of where the the wheel is mounted
And on both the front and rear wheel is going to be either style of 8481 or
8466 so there is going to be even closer gap between the inner side of the
wheel when I mount them.
The rear suspension is going to be rebuilt to get the hight down. Tying to
put the damper in horisontal position like in the Silver Champion and
Williams F1 cars.

And yes again, the liftarm on the rear suspension is used on the Silver
Champion and the Williams F1. I have the last one (set #8461)

I have been working on this on and off for the last four months or so:
(actually much longer, but I re-started from scratch once)

This is the basic chassis design; I have not built any of the upper • section
yet. It is basically supposed to be a combination of the 8868 Airtech Claw
Rig and the 8479 Barcode Multi-set truck, with a dumper and a • five-function
claw arm between the cab and the dumper, which are operated by pneumatics.
(a bit like the 8460 Pneumatic Crane Truck alternate model) There are also • a
couple of extras: independent suspension, six-wheel drive, four-wheel
steering, headlights, V10s with FOS decoration, etc. If anyone remembers • the
topic I started some months ago about suspension systems, I think I • finally
settled on something that works well. I will put up more information when
the model is closer to completion. Overall, it is turning out mostly like
what I originally had in mind, although I seem to have been too reliant on
beams.

I have built with Lego from I was born, almost, and have used Techninc
Bricks since it first came out (yes. I am old), and have also used the beams
to much... I'm trying to use other methods but goes back to the standard
techninc Bricks with holes time after time

Uh.. I see I still got a long way to go before I finish this model  :)
Probably not going to finish the model this year...

But is is still fun to build.

Lek Vel
Øyvind Steinnes