 Technic / 8493
Re: Truck project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:11:13 GMT

I have to fit a compressor to in there. I do not have a air-tank (yet). Do I
realy need one?
Only going to use pneaumatics on the crane.

I think it really depends on how many pneumatic functions (valves) you are
planning to put in. If you have three or less, you can usually get away with
a standard handpump, but for more than that a compressor is a good idea. I
will have six functions so I decided to drop one in there, and it's supposed
to be a (unofficial) successor to the Airtech Claw Rig anyway, so I guess it
would have to include a compressor. ;) As for the air tank, it's usually a
good idea if some of the pistons are going to be moving heavy stuff since it
allows them to move much more smoothly, but it isn't absolutely necessary. I
happened to have a couple of extra compressor pumps and air tanks lying
around anyway, so I decided I might as well use them here.

Bu I would say your construction looks far better than mine.
Have you put an difrential between the wheels? I can see that you have
suspension and it looks like you have drive too, but drive on all or just
the non-steerable wheels?

Thanks a lot for your opinion, but I'm not so sure, since the model is still
turning out heavier than I had expected. I had to start from scratch last
time because it was too heavy and the suspension was not quite strong enough
(among other problems), so I am trying to take particular care that it does
not happen again. The drive is connected to all the wheels; I just used the
8880 Super Car wheel parts in there. The front and rear sets of wheels are
steered using those, and the middle wheels (not steered) use something
similar to the rear wheels on the 8865 Auto Chassis (it is sort of clunky,
but I couldn't think of anything else that worked). I think the model is way
too heavy for an actual motorized drivetrain, so the wheels will just be
connected to the usual mock "wheel driven" engines. :D

It might also be possible to put a four-finger claw on the end instead of
the standard two-finger type, so that it can grasp things from all sides. I
need to see if this is feasible without increasing the size of the claw too
much.

And yes I have drive on all wheels, and suspension on all wheels.
And there is 20 studs between the outside of the yellow on the
wheel-hub-conection on the front suspension system. That was the smallest I
could get it, and still have paralell movement on the wheels (two universal
joints on both sides).
The rear has 22 studs between the inside of where the the wheel is mounted
And on both the front and rear wheel is going to be either style of 8481 or
8466 so there is going to be even closer gap between the inner side of the
wheel when I mount them.
The rear suspension is going to be rebuilt to get the hight down. Tying to
put the damper in horisontal position like in the Silver Champion and
Williams F1 cars.

Sounds quite nice and compact. Did you use bevel gears in the front area to
connect them to the differential? Also, have you had any problems getting
the drivetrain in the front through the steering rack area? I remember
having a little trouble with this, although the 4x4 Off-Roader mechanism
does this very nicely. You are planning to use the 8457/8466 wheels on this,
right? (the really huge ones)

The hardest part on mine so far has probably been to get the suspension
right, and I toyed around with a number of designs for several weeks before
settling on the one in the images. Hopefully that will be good enough.

On a side note, since it looks like you have the Williams F1, do you know
what kinds of shock absorbers it uses? I have the original Silver Champion,
which has the small, yellow shock absorbers; I have found these to be very
useful due to their heavy stiffness, but I only have the four from that set
and cannot find extras anywhere out there, but perhaps they are there just
under a different color...

I have built with Lego from I was born, almost, and have used Techninc
Bricks since it first came out (yes. I am old), and have also used the beams
to much... I'm trying to use other methods but goes back to the standard
techninc Bricks with holes time after time

LOL same here (got an 8024 when I was 3 :D), although I was born as Technic
was just starting to enter its "golden age." (I am 16 but I think I will be
playing with this stuff my entire life :D)

I tend to try to avoid using too many conventional bricks mainly because
they are much heavier than liftarms, which can become a bit of a problem for
larger models. Although you're right; their versatility and ease of use
makes one keep coming back to them. ;)

Uh.. I see I still got a long way to go before I finish this model  :)
Probably not going to finish the model this year...

Same case for me unfortunately, and these projects always tend to take
longer than you think at first.

I have no idea  :-D

That the beuty of Lego I think. You can build whaterver you want, it do not
have to look like something as long as you having fun building it  :)

hehe, I know what you mean; you can just let your imagination wander here,
and the best part is to watch the thing actually work. ;) (this was really
what drew me into technic)

But I think the Tara trucks have the strongest impact on my construction. I
like the roughness on the Tara trucks. And they look so simple too, but they
are realy verry complex.

Is Tara a truck company?

I kind of try to follow the official Lego things in general rather than real
vehicles; you might have noticed that throughout Technic's history, almost
each year carried its own distinctive style for its models. My personal
favorite such style is the 1998 one (8462 and 8428) and the 4x4 off-roader
also has some very neat construction, although my models tend to end up
looking more like 1997 stuff.

Anwyay, let me know how your model progresses. :)

-Gaurav