 Technic / 8242
Re: #8868 is amazing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 08:39:49 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Dave Baum writes:
This is probably old hat to everyone who has played with 8868, but I'll
ramble on anyway...

8868 is the set I most kicked myself for not getting when it was out - my
dark ages were partly brought about because I was no longer able to ask for
Lego as presents and I was at University with no money.  Just as I left 8880
came out which I bought even though I had no money but everytime I looked at
8868 I just thought - it's very expensive.  Last year I bought one on ebay
so the only old Technic set I still want to get is the Test Car.

Building #8868 was a fun challenge.  Over the years I think the Technic
instructions have gotten simpler and simpler.  They break each step into
lots of sub-steps, clearly highlight every piece that is added, etc.
With #8868 you had to figure out a little bit more for yourself (it also
didn't help that I was looking at scanned instructions instead of
paper).  Using pneumatics to turn the crane blew me away.

I agree, old style instructions!  However if you want a challenge try making
it from a poor photocopy! The colours on the hoses are very hard to
distinguish when they are all shades of grey!

I did manage to make one improvement to the design...I added a pneumatic
air tank.  Without the tank, some of the action is a bit jerky.  With
the tank, you can let the compressor run for a minute or so to build up
pressure, then everything operates smoothly.  I strongly recommend this
addition to anyone building the set.  Acutally, I may try to get a
second air tank, then I can add them to the model as the truck's fuel
tanks (right now the tank is just mounted half hidden behind the cab).

Great idea - I did a similar 'reconstruction' of the 8865 Backhoe (which is
why I don't need to buy one) and made the same modification - air tanks are
excellent.  I may rebuild my 8868 to follow your example.

Dave

Message is in Reply To:
  #8868 is amazing

This is probably old hat to everyone who has played with 8868, but I'll ramble on anyway... I had never seen set #8868 before until the recent Technic set poll placed it among other favorites of mine such as 8480 and 8880. The cover picture looked a (...) (22 years ago, 2-Oct-02, to lugnet.technic)