 Technic / 8256
Re: #8868 is amazing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 19:44:51 GMT

I used wheels from 5571, not 5591.  As for 5571...

Sorry, yes, I meant 5571 there. (stupid typo :p)

I mostly stick to Technic, but for some reason 5571 appealed to me.  It
was my first Model Team set, and I have been very pleased with it.
Model Team is a lot different from Technic.  Instead of building
intricate gear mechanisms, you spend your time building up detailed
shapes from many tiny pieces.  The hood alone on 5571 has more pieces
than many of the retail Lego sets these days.

That sounds interesting; I am personally more function-oriented and am used
to the gear train construction you spoke of, but this also sounds like fun.
I think that this model actually had the highest piece count for a while,
right? (until the "ultimate collector" models came out recently)

The completed model looks great - once built it tends to stay on display
longer than any of my Technic models.  My only criticism is that there
are only 6 wheels when a true cab would have 10.  But even this is easy
to overlook considering the detail throughout the rest of the set.

I also thought it looked very detailed and realistic in the catalogs; coming
from a Technic background, where things like the Airtech Claw Rig are pretty
much the height of aesthetic detail, I was quite impressed by the model team
stuff. I think the only functionality on most of the models is the steering
though, right? At any rate, they appear to come with a lot of neat parts.

Now that I'm thinking about it, it might be very cool to try and graft
some of the body from 5571 onto the chassis of 8868.

That might be a neat idea. Actually, most of the custom Technic MOCs out
there look more like MT/Technic hybrids, so it must be quite a workable
combination. ;)

The only other Model Team set I have is 5542.  Although it also looks
very nice, it really didn't strike me as anything special.  I prefer my
Technic helicopters (8412 and 954).  Whereas I can often appreciate a
well designed small Technic Set (8226 is an excellent example), for
Model Team I think the set has to be massive for me to enjoy it.

My entire collection at the moment is made up of Technic sets. (actually, I
had some town and space stuff as well but my brother has those now) I am
probably going to try and get a Model Team set or two just to see what they
are like, as I have been able to save up a bit and they are probably closer
to Technic than anything else out there. At the moment I am considering the
5571 and the 5590 or 5591 sets, if I can get hold of some copies, that is.

On the original subject, I just remembered something about the Airtech Claw
Rig that you may also have noticed. Did anyone see that the pictures of the
model on the box are actually very slightly different from those in the
manual? On the box version, the compressor uses two medium-sized pulleys,
each with a rubber belt, but the one in the manual instead uses a single
large pulley and only one rubber belt. The included pieces match the manual
version. It seems to me that the original ATC Rig design used the mechanism
on the box but they decided to change it later on for some reason. I decided
to try the box combination as well to see whether it performed differently;
as expected, the compressor pumped air a bit faster (since there was less
speed reduction), but the extra rubber band also allowed the transfer of
more torque from the motor, so it wasn't all that much weaker either. Not
sure why they changed it around like that...

-Gaurav