 Technic / 7856
Re: I need technic!!!!!!!!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 15:20:50 GMT

"Todd Thuma" <thumat@gactr.uga.edu> wrote in message news:H07ywx.98@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.technic, Allan Portillo writes:
I get the funny feeling that the technic line is going down the pan. Technic
is my favorite line that lego has produced. Is there any way we can restore
the technic line to it's former glory. I do hope that lego are working on
some large technic sets for the coming years very much so.

What would you like to see be turned into a big technic set?

I have been saying this since the release of the 8485 Technic Control Center II,
but I'd love to see massive Technic dinosaurs.  Up to three to four feet long
and equally as tall.  All shades of green, brown, and grey.  Perhaps with new
organic-looking panels similar to the mechanical looking ones features in
today's sets.  I think these would sell like no tommorow.

Brad Justus stated at BrickFest 2002 that Techinc was not dead. I think he
indicated that new sets were coming out in the third quarter.

But -- did he mean that "Technic-proper" was not dead?  Or just that "Technic-
like" sets were not dead?  I suspect the latter.

Bare in mind, there have been _zero_ "Technic" sets released for 2002.  There
have been sets in the 8xxx numbering range; sets that are, for all intents and
purposes, "Technic".  Yet nothing with the word "Technic" on it has been
released this year.

Note that I don't have a problem with this change, per se.  But I think we
need to take these signs for what they are: the notion that "Technic" as a
theme in and of itself (at least for the mass market) has been abandoned.

I will allow that, perhaps, the sets we know as classic Technic may live on
through the something similar to the S@H only "sculptures" line.  This might
actually prove to be a great thing for Technic fans.  Imagine brand new sets
using classic Technic constructions but in new colors and with the addition
of the new parts.  It could turn out to be very cool.  I have no evidence
that this will happen, but I would point out that the "Master Builder series"
line that was started by the Silver Champion has not seen its second release.
Perhaps that idea has been scrapped, but maybe not.  Maybe that line could
continue as a S@H only line, in the 10xxx (or similar) range?

Also, pictures from the Altered States Magazine covering Toy Fare indicate
possibly 3 or 4 new medium to large Technic sets (racer themed?)
http://www.alteredstatesmag.com/mar2002/lego_racers.shtml

Admittedly, the Technic brand name does appear on the wall near that display.
But those sets have been released now, and they do not have "Technic" printed
on their boxes.  In fact, I suspect some Technic buyers don't even know they
are out yet.  Why?  Because, they are not listed on shop.lego.com under the
Technic name.  They are, instead, grouped in with the rest of the Racers line.

Does LEGO Count Bionicle as a Technic element styled set? You probably don't
want to think of Bionicle as a Technic set but maybe LEGO Executives think of
it that way.

But the marketers don't.  At least not as of 2002 they don't.

Also there are 4 current Technic style Star Wars themed sets; Darth Vader,
R2D2, Jango Fett, and the new Droid. These probably do not excite you for the
Technic theme but they have some great pieces. LEGO Executives might be
counting these as a Technic set.

Those are great sets but they aren't Technic sets.  Any classification of these
sets as "Technic" would appear to be the risidual use of what is now legacy
nomenclature.

Finally, how much of the limited production for Technic pieces is being placed
in the production of the Spybotics theme?

Clearly "Technic" like sets and Technic like pieces are still with us.  This is
a sign that we haven't too much to worry about (yet).

I think if we keep in mind that there is a limited number of "new" sets that
will come out each year and that sets seem to have a 2 or 3 year "shelf" life,
then I think we can keep in perspective that there will only be so many sets
each year in a particular theme. Brad mentioned something about S K U 's. My
limited experience with retail leaves me to assume, in conjunction with what
Brad was saying, that there is only going to be a certain number of sets
released each year and a limited number available in total each year.

Sure, but you cannot deny that the number of medium and large Technic sets
has been reduced as larger Bionicle, Star Wars and Racers "Technic" sets have
come onto the scene.  For the retail space, I only see the trend continuing.
Luckily, yes, some of these Technic-esque sets are really nice.  But there is
now the looming fear that Lego will procede to dumb down even these sets to
more closer match the entry models in those themes, if the market demands it.

After all, they have to say some of their great ideas, sets, and designs for
the coming years.

I know that might not be what you want to hear, but there it is.

The future is a bit uncertain.  We can only hope that the Technic identity and
values are not lost with the passing of the Technic name.  I remain cautiously
optimistic.