 Technic / 7843
7842  |  7844
Subject:
Technic 8466 4X4 Off-Roader REVIEW
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 20:47:58 GMT

I'd love some feedback...thanks!

-------------------------------

8466
technic / tech build/advanced
4X4 Off-Roader

Ages 11+, 1099 Pcs. (C)2001. 243 page manual: 2 models, 24+26+28+17+13+8+14
steps for primary model

Price Range: $120 USD, paid $59.99 via Shop@Home

RATINGS (Scale:  Must-Have  Excellent  Very-Good  Good  Fair  Poor)
Set: <Rating>  /  Models: <Rating>  /  Playability: <Rating>

DECALS?  Yes, Attractive, Do not cover multiple bricks

SPECIAL FEATURES/COMPATIBILITY

Pneumatics (Hydraulics?)
Flex-System (Rubber wire styling and corrugated tubing)

SET DESCRIPTION

A large off-road SUV/Monstertruck vehicle with metallic olive green
panels, tight yellow shocks, 5 speed and reverse transmission,
steering via steering wheel or knob, gigantic tires, hydraulic
gull-wing doors, V8 engine and rack and pinion steering.

SPECIAL ELEMENTS

Tighter shock absorbers, 90-degree beams, wheels joints, large tires,
tubing and rubber flex, panels, yellow pistons, hydraulics,
rounded beams.

IMPRESSION

Had seen a ripped open 8466 box at FAO Shwarz but the manager
refused to let me take it for under $100.  Althoug didn't buy it,
I got a good look at the contents of the box.  4 huge wheels, 8
black (non-transparent) baggies, an instruction booklet (larger
than the largest magazine!), a decal sheet and 3 smaller baggies.
The box was pretty bad and had no tray, but this set still appealed
to me and I felt the urge to buy one...quickly.  A couple weeks later
I was informed of the shop@home 50% off on the 8466...you can see
where this is going.

Maybe there's something wrong with me, but everything inside of
the off-roader box had a peculiar factory aroma which I began to
enjoy while building. I know what you're thinking, but no.

I hate to be repetitive, but the box photo IS ugly! One of the rare
scenarios where the model is much better looking.  The overall design
of the set is very nice and unlike that of the 8448 super street
sensation.

In construction you will find a few too many rounded beams and
frictional pins...and not enough half connectors (the gray
ones that used to have teeth)

Not much more to say....

Set Rating
MUST-HAVE
The pieces in this set are great for building with mindstorms
and other technic models.  A real must-have for your collection.

Model Rating
MUST-HAVE
Truly a must-have model.  Building instructions were clear and colorful.
It looks stunning and is stunning.  If you're a technic fan,
this is definitely for you.

Playability Rating
EXCELLENT
Even my dad is impressed with this thing.  You can press the buttons
for the hydraulics all day long and never tire of it.  Super suspension
and big chrome wheels! One of a kind lego set.

Likes/Dislikes

Likes - Styling, design, colors, mechanics, nice build, hydraulic doors,
rcx fits snug in the back, etc.

Dislikes - The factory smell only lasts a few days.

Scale
As with technic models, the technic figure isn't really supposed to fit.
He looks a bit small for the car, more like a child.  A minifig makes
the car look 10 storys high.

Errors
On page 83 in between the gull wing doors a small connector is shown
as dark gray, on every other page it is black.  No biggie, if you catch
it you might think you've done something wrong for a second or two.

Extra Elements
Connectors, pins, etc.

CONCLUSION
I would absolutely buy this set if you don't have one, even
at retail price.  Buy a second if you can find a discount anywhere
below $100.  The model truly is stunning but doesn't look so great
next to older sets (It makes 8880 seem like a Model T).  This set
has a great selection of parts, and reminds me of a more evolved
8448 just in an off-road body.

REVIEWER INFORMATION
Review Written: July 31, 2002
By: Jake Rentar B2FUTR2@aol.com
Age: 14 Favorite Lines/Themes: Technic, Older space

I collect lego and display most of my models, buy extras of
some sets for building mindstorms creations and always look for a bargain.

COPYRIGHT

This review is Copyright 1997, by the author as named above.  The
author grants publication rights for all uses, public and private,
with the following exceptions: all information in the document must
be published in full; any for-profit use requires express written
permission by the author for publication in full or in part.