 Technic / 720
719  |  721
Subject:
Patterns (was subassemblies)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 15:57:11 GMT

I think a collection of patterns that Mark Crosbie mentioned is an excellent
idea. As John Matthews pointed out, Fred Martin as a short collection of these
at the MIT web site. My personal opinion of Fred's work is that it is usefull,
but contains only very small scale components. Larger patterns, such as the
2x14 gear box built by Dirk-Willem van Gulik would be more useful, IMHO.

For my own contribution to the effort, I offer the springs and cables method.
It's an alternative to using gears and pullies, and is documented here:

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Dome/5088/Hand.htm#Conclussion

A collection of robotics related software patterns would be useful as well.
Feedback loops play an important role in robotics and I'm sure they would be a
rich source of useful patterns. Existing software patterns may find new
applications in robotics. For example, the Observer pattern may be useful for
robots that monitor a room or piece of equipment and act on detected changes.

David Leeper (is a pattern)